Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Finding stock 1998 s-10 spindles

Bought a 54 Chevy truck sitting on a 1998 QZ8 frame. It has new 2" drop spindles, rotors and disc brake assemblies. Sits to low for me. Want to replace with stock height spindles and stock height springs. Noticed the rotor hubs have a "gear" looking piece that goes around the OD rear shoulder of the hub. Never saw this before. If I can find the stock spindles, which seem to be very expensive, will this rotor hub fit the stock spindle? There is nothing on the new spindles that would indicate a necessity for this piece. May have to go with used spindles.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks

The frame is from an 1998 S-10.Name:  DSC05868.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  430.0 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]191629Name:  DSC05870.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  405.6 KB
      Last edited by Red Green; 08-24-2021 at 10:40 AM. Reason: ADD Pictures

Country Flag: United States
      In 1998 GM switched to sealed bearings, so those rotors and the spindles you have are for earlier S-series. Maybe 1996-1997 is the year components you have, the rotors have reluctor wheels on the backside for ABS sensors. That's the "gear". It's a toothed reluctor that the ABS sensor picks up to know the speed of each front wheel.

You can find spindles at pretty much any pull a part you go to, they usually have s10s/blazers/jimmys readily available.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Thank you very much

That is incorrect..... all 2wd S10 pickups still had standard bearings, but the Blazers had sealed bearings, larger brakes & rotors without the center hub.

I put an S10 frame under a 46 Chevy pickup. I found some used Blazer hubs that use the sealed bearing packs on eBay. They weren’t cheap but it allowed me to use C5 brakes with Kore3 brackets. Worth every penny imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      That is incorrect..... all 2wd S10 pickups still had standard bearings, but the Blazers had sealed bearings, larger brakes & rotors without the center hub.
      You are correct, my apologies for providing false information. Been a while since I've owned a 2wd pickup, dealt with blazers and zr2s for too long now. Please disregard the sealed bearing statement above. As dhutton stated, you can convert to blazer spindles with sealed bearings/divorced rotors or stick with the s10 packed bearing setup.

When you switch out to factory spindles whether blazer or truck you'll have to mess with the toe. For some reason drop spindles always had the steering arms different than stock, possibly to help clear wheels?
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Was told that the blazer spindles will work on my 1998 QZ8 RWD chassis and that I could use my rotors(pictured) and calipers. Is that correct?

Thanks. Ordered used blazer spindles prior to my request for help. Hope they work. If not, will find the ones that do.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. All help appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. All help appreciated.

Late model S10 Blazers take a larger 2 piston caliper & rotor.
      This is great performance upgrade.

The mounting is different between the 2, but match the parts to the appropriate spindle.

Name:  KCOE2004__ra_p.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  56.0 KB

Vs. pickup

Name:  KC1985__ra_p.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  38.0 KB

I put Blazer spindles on my S10 pickup for the flat center hub to allow better wheel selection.
      Kore3 brake kit was also installed as stated above.

Name:  IMG_1322.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  212.1 KB

Thanks

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com