Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Seeking recommendation for gas tank exterior paint/coating

I've just purchased a stamped Ricks tank. I hadn't intended to paint it, but it's a little more visible than I anticipated, and the current paint scuffs very easy so I can only imagine how it'll look after a few spirited miles.

I'm seeking recommendation on long lasting paints, at least for the underside of the tank.

I have had excellent results with Eastwood’s Chassis Black, it lays down very smooth, covers well, and with 1 light and 1 medium coat resists hammer impacts and torches (1 month cured). I painted a driveshaft and later had the u-joints replaced, it took a serious beating before it chipped.
      I prepped with Eastwood rust encapsulator first over bare metal, scuff with 3m red pads, 1 light coat, 1 Med coat, then same coating with chassis black. They have several levels of gloss, but the standard 60% satin looks great and cleans up well if you like. It is the easiest spray cans I have ever used, and consistent every time. HTH
      https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-or...oss-paint.html
      They also have chassis black extreme, and a catalyst chassis black 2K, which is chemical resistant, but I have not tried those yet.
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by mc84_zz4 View Post
      I have had excellent results with Eastwood’s Chassis Black, it lays down very smooth, covers well, and with 1 light and 1 medium coat resists hammer impacts and torches (1 month cured). I painted a driveshaft and later had the u-joints replaced, it took a serious beating before it chipped.
      I prepped with Eastwood rust encapsulator first over bare metal, scuff with 3m red pads, 1 light coat, 1 Med coat, then same coating with chassis black. They have several levels of gloss, but the standard 60% satin looks great and cleans up well if you like. It is the easiest spray cans I have ever used, and consistent every time. HTH
      https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-or...oss-paint.html
      They also have chassis black extreme, and a catalyst chassis black 2K, which is chemical resistant, but I have not tried those yet.
      Thanks for the recommendation. I've used quite a bit of Eastwoods products throughout this build, particularly their 2k aerosols and it works well. Chassis black would be quite perfect for what I need, thanks a lot.

I would use black SPI epoxy. It will outperform any Eastwood product imho….

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I would use black SPI epoxy. It will outperform any Eastwood product imho….

Don
      I was planning on using that as a primer actually.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I was planning on using that as a primer actually.
      It’s all you really need. It has UV protection so no need to topcoat. Three coats and done. Put it out in the sun for a few days and it will cure faster.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I had a customer's car back in this week that I finished in 2015. The tank still looks perfect: I had it powder-coated a dark silver in 2014 or so.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I had a customer's car back in this week that I finished in 2015. The tank still looks perfect: I had it powder-coated a dark silver in 2014 or so.
      I see that Tanks inc powder coat their tanks silver which looks good. Ricks stamped tanks are only primed in what seems to be a pretty poor quality primer. Regardless, I got the tank 3 coats deep in SPI epoxy today. A part of me wishes it were silver but its such a minor detail I think this is more than enough.

Thanks for all your recommendations.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com