Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ignition won't stay powered on, any ideas?

Brand new build, Ididit column, Holley Terminator X ECU and we are experiencing an ignition issue. We're losing power when trying to start the car. As you can see in the video when the key is turned the dash turns off/on not delivering power. We thought it may be the ignition switch but we are getting good ignition power. If the key is releases perfectly its runs fine but you have to catch it just right. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thank you

<font color="#333333">

Ididit couldn't help diagnose the issue and the WONT SEND A REPLACEMENT SWITCH! They want us to send the column in to be tested and wait 6 WEEKS to send it back! Even if I wanted to buy a brand new column they are out of stock until November. Builder is going to install a manual push button start as a work around. Complete failure by Ididit, I won't be buying their products in the future.

Country Flag: United States
      Ignition doesn't stay hot between run and crank. That has been a problem with IDIDIT since they came out with that switch. They won't send you a switch because there is nothing wrong with the switch, it is working as designed, just not the way it needs to for a car. Buy this. Ididit 3100038100 It is expensive but it will cure the problem by replacing the relay pack that came with your column.

I have never had any issues with OE or Holley ECUs.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

very good lead, thank you!

Stock points ignition gets power during starting from the starter solenoid. The terminal marked "sol" runs to the coil positive. This bypasses the ballast resistor wire (white wire from firewall bulkhead connector to coil +) during starting. A later year ignition switch for an HEI ignition car should keep power on the pink wire during starting.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 08-24-2021 at 09:37 AM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Ignition doesn't stay hot between run and crank. That has been a problem with IDIDIT since they came out with that switch. They won't send you a switch because there is nothing wrong with the switch, it is working as designed, just not the way it needs to for a car. Buy this. Ididit 3100038100 It is expensive but it will cure the problem by replacing the relay pack that came with your column.

I have never had any issues with OE or Holley ECUs.
      I spoke with Ididit tech support last week about a few things before ordering a column and asked about this. The person I talked to said this has been resolved with their new switch relay, it will stay powered continuously. I don't have a new one installed to verify but that's what I was told. The change happened this year so columns in inventory somewhere may or may not have the updated set up.

Can you clarify your post? The switch has been updated? The relay pack has been out for awhile now.
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Can you clarify your post? The switch has been updated? The relay pack has been out for awhile now.
      Didn't take good enough notes I guess, they don't have the problems with the dropout any more. I would assume they changed the relays.

The reason I ask is that there has been a new ignition switch coming for quite awhile. I understood that it took a complete redesign of the column bell to make it work as well as a switch designed from scratch just for the application. Heavier, more OE feel along with no dropout and no need for a magic relay pack to make it work, just a regular relay pack.

I'll find out.
      Donny

Yep, new columns are shipping with the new switches.
      Donny

I wonder if there's a way to visually ID the new and improved from the old style?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com