Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ignition Issues, any ideas? Ididit Column, Holley ECU, LS7

Brand new build, Ididit column, Holley Terminator X ECU and we are experiencing an ignition issue. We're losing power when trying to start the car. As you can see in the video when the key is turned the dash turns off/on not delivering power. We thought it may be the ignition switch but we are getting good ignition power. If the key is releases perfectly its runs fine but you have to catch it just right. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thank you

Country Flag: United States
      Is that the Ididit column with the relay? When they first introduced it Kevin had one and had the an issue because it was momentarily dropping power when the key moved from start to run. They sent him a fix for it.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Yes it is! Do you know what they sent him?

If i remember on the Ididit columns with the external relays, the column supplies power to the relay coils. The other side of the coils are grounded. So for the ignition relay, a pair of diodes can be used to fix the power drop out. 2 1N400* series diodes would be fine. Cut the thin pink wire from the column to relay pack. Take diodes, twist banded ends together, connect to relay side of pink wire. Non-banded side connects to column side pink wire. Other non-banded lead connects to thin purple from column. This will supply ignition relay with power during run & crank positions of the key.

Hell yeah I’ll try this out thank you

Ididit couldn't help diagnose the issue and the WONT SEND A REPLACEMENT SWITCH! They want us to send the column in to be tested and wait 6 WEEKS to send it back! Even if I wanted to buy a brand new column they are out of stock until November. Builder is going to install a manual push button start as a work around. Complete failure by Ididit, I won't be buying their products in the future.

Sorry to hear that. I considered them the better of the column vendors.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

They are, by a lot. I copypasta my post from the other thread.

Ignition doesn't stay hot between run and crank. That has been a problem with IDIDIT since they came out with that switch. They won't send you a switch because there is nothing wrong with the switch, it is working as designed, just not the way it needs to for a car. Buy this. Ididit 3100038100 It is expensive but it will cure the problem by replacing the relay pack that came with your column.

I have never had any issues with OE or Holley ECUs.

But I will add some more explanation. If you take apart an ignition switch the contacts for various things are just "dots" but the ignition contact is a slide. It is this way so that is hot in run _and_ start but it also stays hot in between those two positions. The IDIDIT switch, sourced from a jet, doesn't have that slide so that it stays hot in the in between position. Some ECUs are not affected by this.......some are.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      They are, by a lot. I copypasta my post from the other thread.

Ignition doesn't stay hot between run and crank. That has been a problem with IDIDIT since they came out with that switch. They won't send you a switch because there is nothing wrong with the switch, it is working as designed, just not the way it needs to for a car. Buy this. Ididit 3100038100 It is expensive but it will cure the problem by replacing the relay pack that came with your column.

I have never had any issues with OE or Holley ECUs.

But I will add some more explanation. If you take apart an ignition switch the contacts for various things are just "dots" but the ignition contact is a slide. It is this way so that is hot in run _and_ start but it also stays hot in between those two positions. The IDIDIT switch, sourced from a jet, doesn't have that slide so that it stays hot in the in between position. Some ECUs are not affected by this.......some are.
      Great info as usual.

Thanks,
      Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I ordered a 3100038100 from Summit to resolve this issue, and this is what I received. There's no number on the box anywhere so I want to make sure it's the correct piece. Can't find a photo anywhere online, except on the Summit site, which shows something different (separate relays and wires). Ididit is closed for the holiday, so wondering if anyone here knows.
      Name:  IMG_3202.jpeg
Views: 1068
Size:  101.4 KB

Yes- that looks like it-

But for almost $200???

I used a Hella timed - delay off relay. It holds output for 1 to 900 seconds.
      So when it sees the ignition- it will stay on during ign to crank transition - not drop the power

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-996152131

Name:  hla-996152131_xl.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  177.2 KB

How do you wire this up? I have the $200 box and it's still not working

- - - Updated - - -

That's the same thing I got, but it didn't fix my problem

The Ididit column and 3100038100 box works fine on my '70 bird.

But now I'm building a '79 and considering what to do for a steering column. Does anyone know if Ididit addressed the underlying problem, or whether I would still need one of these relay boxes?

Also curious why Ididit columns have these relays whereas the Flaming River columns don't require any relays (at least that's what they told me when I inquired)?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com