Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Nu Relic Power Windows with Watson Streetworks Switches

Hey Guys, I bought the nu relic power window kit for my 69 Camaro with the 4 console switch. I don’t want to use the 4 console switch that came with the kit (generic chrome), I bought the Watson streetworks switches. Problem is they are rated at 5 amps. What’s the easiest way I can wire the switches? I’m assuming I’ll need 2 relays per window. Is there a control box I can buy instead of using the relays? There has to be an easier way than creating a bank of 8 relays.

Thanks
      Joe

Country Flag: United States
      Hi Joe. Watson mentions calling them and they will set you up with polarity reversing modules for the higher current etc.

https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...ersing-module/

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

These are the switches I have, arnt they reverse polarity switches?
      https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...ular-switches/

I was thinking something like this:
      OONO 4 SPDT 10Amp Power Relay Module for Raspberry Pi etc IoT Project, DC12V Version https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BNJMNXT...DSSMP355P71P0Q

Also I bought the switches from a member here which came with the Ron Francis black box. I thought I could just use that, but upon reading the instructions if you need reverse polarity then you have to use 2 channels. There are only 5 channels in the box so I wouldn’t have enough to make 4 windows work. Am I missing something?
      https://static.summitracing.com/glob...s/rfw-bx10.pdf

Ok didn’t know which switches you have. Hopefully someone smarter than me will post some ideas.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Also check out the "one-touch" window module from Direct Electronics (DEI 535t).

https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elec.../dp/B00H4N1Y2O

The module can control 4 windows with "one-touch" up or down (but not both); it can also be programmed to control 2 windows with "one-touch" up AND down, but you will need 2 modules to control 4 windows. The 535t module should work with the motors in the Ne Relic kit, but they will not work with the original factory self grounding motor. The 60's and early 70's cars used this type of window motor which has 2 separate windings inside the motor (one for UP & one for DOWN). Sometime around 1979 the US auto makers started using reversible motors which switched the polarity to a single motor winding.

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

I was looking into those alarm type modules, some of them can handle up to 30 amps which is great, but is this module a way to replace relays?

A bank of 8 relays is your best bet. Get some ISO 280 relays rated at 20 amps closed, with a diode setup on the switch side. A Song Chuan ISO 280 Micro Relay with Diode, SPDT 301-1C-C-D1-U05-12VDC will work. Set them all up on an EATON Bussmann Series 15404-2-0-1-0A RFRM Fuse Panel. You should be able to find room for it under the console or under the dash. Don't get the cheaper 10A NO relays -- they won't handle the current for the window motors.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I have used the DEI modules in three cars with Nu-Relics windows with no issues. You will need the two modules to control four windows. You don't need relays with these modules. Just make sure you use good size wiring for the power feeds and the window motors. I love the one touch feature and I've also wired them up to alarms to remote raise and lower the windows as well. You can't go wrong with it and it will work with your Watson switches. Lot less wiring than a bank of relays, that's for sure. HTH.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by CapSS92 View Post
      I have used the DEI modules in three cars with Nu-Relics windows with no issues. You will need the two modules to control four windows. You don't need relays with these modules. Just make sure you use good size wiring for the power feeds and the window motors. I love the one touch feature and I've also wired them up to alarms to remote raise and lower the windows as well. You can't go wrong with it and it will work with your Watson switches. Lot less wiring than a bank of relays, that's for sure. HTH.

Alex
      That’s great! Yeah I’m out of room, I have no where to hide all this wiring for 8 relays. Are the Watson switches reverse polarity? Can I just use them with the Ron Francis black box that I already have, I would have to use 1 channel per window though. If I have to use 2 channels than it’s not worth it.

The BX-10 will control windows. However it requires pairs of the outputs to do reversing (Window) functions...page 3 of instructions. I believe when the BX-10 output is configured as such, it will have one touch up-down operation. So four windows requires eight outputs. Use the remaining two for door locks.

Hi, the switches are three prong SPDT(single pole double throw), which means they connect the center terminal to the outer terminal, depending which way you move the switch. They're not really reverse polarity, just a simple switch. I found the ad where you bought them and my answer is based on the pictures shown in the ad. The Ron Francis box can control the four windows so you would have one set of terminals left over since you need two channels to control one window. You could use the last set to control your door locks.

Alex

Joeko:
      You will need 5-pin switches (DPDT) that can switch both wires going to the motors: the switches will be grounded at rest and feed ground & power to the motors when you press the switch for UP or DOWN. The 3-pin (SPDT) switches that you have now will not work. You will not need any relays, the DEI modules perform all the switching internally. Use 14 ga wires for the motor feeds and 12 ga wire for the V+ and Ground connections. The switches can be smaller gauge wire (20-22 awg will be fine) as the switch circuits only trigger the DEI module and don't provide power to the motors.

I'm using 5-pin Dorman repop switches that fit '79 G-body cars; they look almost factory correct for my '72 Olds 442 and will work with the reversing type motors.

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers

Power Window Circuit - reversing motors

Joeko:

Here's a 2-window circuit diagram that I just stumbled across on the web today. I thought this might be helpful to you.

Rodney

Name:  2-Window Circuit Diagram.png
Views: 589
Size:  564.4 KB
      Rodney Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by ween View Post
      The BX-10 will control windows. However it requires pairs of the outputs to do reversing (Window) functions...page 3 of instructions. I believe when the BX-10 output is configured as such, it will have one touch up-down operation. So four windows requires eight outputs. Use the remaining two for door locks.
      Wow, I’m so stupid. I thought there were only 5 outputs on the black box. Ok everything makes sense now, I’ll definitely use the black box since I already have it. I don’t think it has one touch control though. Where did you read that it as one touch? I guess I could setup the box instead of momentary to do latching, but how will the box know when to stop? The other one touch modules monitor amp spikes, I don’t think this one will do that, it’ll just blow the fuse (I’m assuming).

I'd leave the outputs as momentary. Bad things could happen if you couldn't lower the window or stop it instantly.
      Previously installed a BX-10, a few years back. When testing I thought it had one touch features. Sent an email to Ron Francis to check.

Roughly hooked it up to 1 switch and 1 window actuator through the black box, I set it up according to window instructions and it worked. When in momentary and window output, it works as one touch up/down. Pretty sweet! Thanks for everyone’s help!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com