Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Current Shop Rates

Wanted to do a bit of benchmarking for current shop rates per hour. What are you all seeing out there for general pro-touring car fabrication and assembly, plumbing and wiring? thanks in advance. I realize that this is likely a bit regional, with California in general probably being higher.

I was just at a shop the other day and was told $100/hr. That seems to be the standard rate +/-. For most people, that’s crazy to think about but I understand the guy has a business to keep the lights on, pay employees and then pay himself at the end of the day.

I've paid $75-$90/hr for fab work here in NC, with bodywork sometimes coming in a little cheaper. The highest I paid was in a huge shop, with underskilled staff, so I don't think price is even slightly a reflection of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I've paid $75-$90/hr for fab work here in NC, with bodywork sometimes coming in a little cheaper. The highest I paid was in a huge shop, with underskilled staff, so I don't think price is even slightly a reflection of quality.

You’re definitely right about cost sometimes not being a reflection of quality. When I was in college and a short time after, I bounced between a few body, detail and restoration shops. During those years, I quickly learned about this issue. Many times you will see a business that has had the same name for years but the employees may have changed numerous times. In this type of industry we, as consumers, unfortunately don’t always know who is working on our stuff most of the time.

Also, when shopping around, be careful of people’s word on their experience. I’ve been around enough “been doing this 20 years” guy’s to know that is in no way a reflection of quality either.

People I would trust to take may car to are in the $90hr and up range.
      Tracey

Thanks guys, appreciate the response. Back when I started this project (6 years ago), rates here in SoCal where about $75/hr. I chose a guy that my buddies used that was about half of the going rate. His overhead is low, works out of his home shop, 2 projects at a time, no employees, trustworthy (probably most important), work quality is good but really, really slow. Just now getting to final assembly after paint. I have enjoyed the process but I really want this project finished. Just wanted to check the market and see where we are today....

It should start at $90 per hour, it takes time tuning a vehicle.

Our shop rate is $125 a hour.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by SD67 View Post
      Thanks guys, appreciate the response. Back when I started this project (6 years ago), rates here in SoCal where about $75/hr. I chose a guy that my buddies used that was about half of the going rate. His overhead is low, works out of his home shop, 2 projects at a time, no employees, trustworthy (probably most important), work quality is good but really, really slow. Just now getting to final assembly after paint. I have enjoyed the process but I really want this project finished. Just wanted to check the market and see where we are today....

It is hard to compare a guy in his back yard with zero overhead to a shop. Apples and oranges.

I am that guy with a shop in my back yard and I do restoration/hot rod body and paint. I charge $40 an hour which is quite literally half of what a shop would charge. But for me it makes good pocket money to build my own toys without touching the "house money". But because of that I have to tell people, I may be slower then production shops, but the quality will be the same if not better, but the cost will be far less.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com