Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Brake Wear Indicator/Scraper Orientation. Am I really wrong?

Curious to see other opinions on this. Every time I install brake pads, I always install the wear indicator/scraper facing to scrape away from the rotor rather than against the rotor. From what I've seen, I know common advice/practice is actually the opposite where the scraper is supposed to "dig" against the rotor to make noise when the pads wear down.

Any opinions on this? Am I really wrong doing it this way?

In the picture below, you can see how I usually do it. This is on my '00 K2500 Chevy I was working on today. I have the scraper in the forward/upper position.

Untitled by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

The wear sensor should be at the leading edge of the rotor. IOW, the rotor hits it before the forward rotation takes it into the pad area.

Bob.

So Clear!

Quote Originally Posted by a67 View Post
      The wear sensor should be at the leading edge of the rotor. IOW, the rotor hits it before the forward rotation takes it into the pad area.

Bob.
      I've read a bunch of threads across the internet today regarding mechanical brake sensor orientation. This is the most clear/logical explanation of the bunch. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com