Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

1968 Beaumont Wagon - Rolling Restomod

Hi Folks!

So begins the '68 Beaumont Wagon project thread! My first car was a '66 Malibu 2-dr hard top, and I've also had a '70 Pontiac Tempest so this will be my 3rd GM A-Body - 37 years after the first one! To say it's rough around the edges would be an extreme understatement, this is going to take a while...

For the un-initiated, the Beaumont and it's sister, the Canso, were anomalies of the US Auto Pact, where until 1970 Pontiacs were not for sale in Canada. GM's solution was to create a separate division, Acadian, and sold the Chevelle/Le Mans-like Beaumont and the Chevy II/Nova-like Canso. The Canso lasted until 1971, but the Beaumont's last year was 1969. It's mechanically a Chevelle, but has some Le Mans finishes. Most notably, the dash is from the Le Mans (but the console, if so equipped, was from the Chevelle) and the front bodywork features a split Pontiac-style grille, but with a Pontiac arrow-head emblem with two Maple Leafs above it. These were only built and sold in Canada, and the best estimate is that there were only 705 Wagons built in '68 out of a total of 14,420 units. This one has a 250 straight-6, and there were only 318 of those built.

It was for sale for nearly a year until the price dropped into the realm of reality and I scooped it. I'm on Cortes Island, a super-remote island off the coast of BC, which as a point of reference would take about 7 hrs, 200 km of driving, and 3 ferries to get to from Vancouver. The seller was on Vancouver Island, and happens to owns a flat-deck tow truck. So, he brought it up to the closest city where my Uncle happens to live and dropped it there. He and I spent a long day going over it doing triage and affecting enough repairs (most notably a new fuel pump & massive carb adjustment, bolt the front bench seat & seat belts in, and seat cover) such that I could drive it the last 60 km over 2 ferries to get it home. It was an interesting ride, but I made it in one piece!

I'm doing the immediately required repairs (front brake hoses, centre link & idler arm), and painting the bright red '80s Camaro rally wheels that it came on black. At this point it will run and drive as designed to, but with some massive upgrades and restoration to be worked out. Should be interesting!

Here's a few for-sale shots:

Name:  IMG_3014.JPEG
Views: 1473
Size:  901.3 KBName:  IMG_3017.JPEG
Views: 1030
Size:  680.7 KBName:  IMG_3015.JPEG
Views: 1023
Size:  735.5 KB

And one with my Uncle in action, using a vacuum gauge to adjust the carb after we got it running:

Name:  IMG_3077.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  508.0 KB

And a couple when I finally got it landed at home:

Name:  IMG_3089.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  763.2 KBName:  IMG_3090.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  723.2 KB

Much more to come!

Cheers,
      darguy

Country Flag: United States
      Looks like a fun project! Leaving the I6 in?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

That's the plan, yes. I haven't done a compression test yet to verify it's viability, but it doesn't have any external leaks and runs ok considering it's been sitting for a really long time. I haven't checked it's numbers yet, but I suspect it's the original engine - and if so, I'll definitely keep it.

I'd put in an HEI, and then start thinking about a streetable cam/intake/exhaust package to bring it to life somewhat.

What a unique project, I love it. If something happens with that motor or it turns out not to be original, I feel like it's begging for a 4BT or 6BT diesel motor.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Mannnnn, this wagon is gonna be unreal. It would be shame to get rid of that patina, I hope you keep it stock like that.

As for motor... Man, the possibilities are endless.

I do think it needs some nice wide rubber on the rear!
      1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am [B95] - Roadster Shop Spec Chassis, Crate LS376/480, Built 4L80E Trans, Holley Terminator Maxx ECU, Vintage Air

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      What a unique project, I love it. If something happens with that motor or it turns out not to be original, I feel like it's begging for a 4BT or 6BT diesel motor.
      I had to look those up! That would be an interesting swap, to be sure - and go along with the utilitarian nature of the beast. If the engine isn't long-term viable I might consider converting to electric down the road. I'd need about 300 km of real-world range, maybe less if there are enough fast chargers around. It wouldn't be cheap, but it would be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by B95 View Post
      Mannnnn, this wagon is gonna be unreal. It would be shame to get rid of that patina, I hope you keep it stock like that.

As for motor... Man, the possibilities are endless.

I do think it needs some nice wide rubber on the rear!
      Thanks! It's definitely going to be a fun build, the paint will be the last thing to be done - if I decide to. Part of the appeal was it's rough & tumble aesthetic, I live on the end of a long dirt road and rocks on paint is a reality of life!

Once I figure out the front suspension/brakes upgrades, I'll know what my parameters are for wheel sizes. Those 80's Camaro rallys are temporary! I'm thinking some old-school Auto Drag Center Lines, and definitely big meats on the back!

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      One word

Vortec 4200

OK, one word and a couple numbers
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      One word

Vortec 4200

OK, one word and a couple numbers
      That would spice things up a bit! I'm looking to stay away from computers on this one, so one of the Pontiac overhead cam I6's would also be a cool, period-correct swap (and somewhat apt, it being a pseudo-Pontiac).

https://i2.wp.com/www.curbsideclassi...irebird-04.jpg

Cool long roof! I look forward to the build!

Very cool!

Did not realize the Nova was a Canso. Had one around the corner from me years ago and saw the Acadian badge but don't remember the Canso. I remember my first exposure at Super Chevy in Seattle was a 68 SD427 hardtop, was a sweet car.

Vision Statement

Hey Folks! It's been nearly three and a half months since picking up the Beaumont Wagon, "Beaugan" (ask an Australian friend...). I've fixed the critical safety issues, did some routine maintenance, and even took it on a somewhat harrowing week-long mission into Vancouver involving real highway speeds in a giant rain-storm. It clocked approximately 500 km and hauled a full load of cargo back home, I replaced the rear u-joint half way through the trip, but otherwise it was issue-free other than the non-trivial amounts of water ingress from the rain. The somewhat harrowing part is largely due to the engineering discrepency between base-model 1968 and the reality of 2021 motoring. To say piloting the rather large wagon with manual steering and manual drum brakes in rush-hour city traffic was challenging would be an understatement. It was a successful proof of concept mission, but also helped to highlight it's deficiencies. Which brings me to the Vision Statement.

Beaugan will be safe, comfortable, and stylish while being a pleasure to drive, responding predictably to modern road and traffic conditions.

In other words, my Wife would like driving it! That would make it the first car I've had in our 17 years together that met that criteria. I've had quite a few cars in that time, and I think the only one she's even driven was our camper van! She couldn't even go with me for drives in the Z06, she's 5'1" and it was so low that she couldn't see the horizon and it made her car-sick instantly. So, that's the Vision at least. Parts are starting to roll in, but certainly before I drive it again it's gonna need power brakes and steering at least!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com