Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Narrowed Rear End Vs. Wheel fitment.

Let me start off by saying this is the wheel look I'm trying to achieve on my 66 Nova.

Name:  Brian-Hobaugh-1969-Camaro-1200x525.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  386.7 KB

Obviously these are positive offset wheels. My question is, I'm ordering a full TCI suspension, would narrowing the rear end make it more difficult to run a positive offset rear wheel? ( That makes sense in my brain). If it matters the body has DSE minitubs. Thanks for any enlightenment.

You're putting the horse ahead of the cart.

Put your suspension on first. Get the wheels you want and get them centered in the wheelwell. Then take the measurements and have the rear axle made to fit.
      Tracey

Country Flag: United States
      As stated, you should definitely get the wheels first if you know the look you want. But yes, a shortened rear and the Positive offset look you want do not go together.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I did it backwards then.. I did the narrowed rear and suspension first, decided on tire size and then used a backspace tool to get my rim offset.

Thanks for the info. Narrowing the rear-end is fine if you want a neutral or negative offset. If you go too positive you may have to runs spacers...

Quote Originally Posted by LSM3 View Post
      Let me start off by saying this is the wheel look I'm trying to achieve on my 66 Nova.

Name:  Brian-Hobaugh-1969-Camaro-1200x525.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  386.7 KB

Obviously these are positive offset wheels. My question is, I'm ordering a full TCI suspension, would narrowing the rear end make it more difficult to run a positive offset rear wheel? ( That makes sense in my brain). If it matters the body has DSE minitubs. Thanks for any enlightenment.

I have a TCI suspension on my 67 Nova and I am running an offset that looks similar to that pic. I am looking to narrow my rear to get more of a lip. Maybe we could work somthing out?
      69 Firebird, Caged, Minitubbed Ls3, TKO 600 Morrison Subframe- G-Bar Blah Blah

What's your length flange to flange? What type of housing? How many spline axles?

Given those are concave wheels and the width that they are, I would venture they're neutral or possibly negative offset. If you're going custom wheels, the manufacturer can change the thickness of the mounting surface. If you're looking to buy off the shelf wheels it's a whole different story.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com