Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Introducing the 1981 Firebird Trans Am B95

Hello Everyone,

My name is Boston and I am checking in from Winnipeg, Canada!

My project all started with finding an original 1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am hard top. My friends dad is an avid vehicle collector and needed some room in his warehouse. This vehicle (I am told) was taken off the road in 2013 when the vehicle had a small dash fire. Original Canadian car from Saskatchewan that has only had two other owners in its lifetime.

The picture below is how it was originally found in the warehouse:
      Name:  IMG_0937.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  476.4 KB

The original cowl tag:
      Name:  IMG_0951.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  534.0 KB

My original plan was to build the vehicle myself with the help of a friend. I wanted to do a restomod style restoration and bring it back to life as quickly as I could. I had gotten a junkyard 5.3L LS V8, I was going to go with a ride tech street grip suspension system and clean up the interior.

As life hit me, I didn't touch a lot of the vehicle for almost 8 months, I went through a job change and decided after watching hours upon hours of car videos that a pro-touring build was going to be the way to go.

This is how it sat before I moved it and decided to change direction over winter:
      Name:  IMG_1978.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  393.9 KB

So, the 1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am B95 was born. It is going to be a fully transformed vehicle. It is now being professionally built by a local garage following my direction. The B95 is going to be my inspiration for the custom build code my Pro-Touring build is going to take. Like the modern option package that was never offered in 1981.

The new and ever growing parts list is as follows:

Engine: Brand new crate LS376/480 making about 495 HP
      Transmission: Locally built 4L80-E
      Suspension: Roadster Shop Spec Series 1970-81 Camaro/Firebird Chassis / RS SV by Fox fixed valve coilovers
      Brakes: (Included with Chassis) 13 inch drilled and slotted 2 piece rotors with Baer 4 piston calipers powder coated red (front and rear)
      Rear Diff: (Included with Chassis) Strange Engineering Ford 9 inch housing with 3.70 gears w/ True-Trac posi and 31 spline axles. Wilwood pro spindles
      Steering: (Included with Chassis) Power rack and pinion set up
      Fuel: (Included with Chassis) 19 Gallon stainless tank w/ LS fuel pump
      Interior: Seats, centre console, door panels and dash all being professionally redone locally in a black suede with red vinyl finish. Headliner, sail panels and sun visors all also done in black suede. A Pillars, rear view mirror and a few other items will be all in gloss carbon fibre parts from Anvil Auto. I will include pictures for what is currently complete below:
      Name:  IMG_1608.png
Views: 154
Size:  760.3 KBName:  IMG_1609.png
Views: 161
Size:  683.8 KBName:  IMG_1610.png
Views: 154
Size:  713.0 KB

Instrument Cluster: Dakota digital gauges (TBD) with anvil auto carbon fibre surround
      Steering Wheel and column: TBD
      Radio and Stereo System: TBD
      Wheels/Rubber: Looking to do a staggered fitment set up with 255's up front and 295's in the rear. No idea what rims yet but am pretty set on 18 inch forged rims
      Wiring: Interior is going to be done with American Autowire, and engine is being done with a Holley Terminator Maxx ECU and harness set up.
      Exterior: Going to paint the car a metallic gunmetal grey colour with exposed carbon side mirrors, side vents, rear spoiler, wicker bill added on as well, going to keep the shaker on the hood and just mount it to the hood. Going to remove the original bodykit (aero kit for the trans am) I want the car to be as clean as possible with as clean of lines as I can get. The car is going for a more modern muscle / euro look and needs to look less busy.
      Headlights/Taillights: Dapper Lighting FOURSIX with black housing LED w/ switchback halos, tail lamps are getting the sequential LED boards put in.

I think that's about as much as I can humanly remember right now. The car is currently sitting at a shop waiting for all of this. Engine is another month away and the roadster shop chassis is 13 weeks minimum. I place the order for all the carbon fibre tomorrow and I am waiting on my local shop to get back to me about ETA on the transmission....

I would love to hear some feedback from you guys or what you suggest to look into moving forward for more parts / design ideas and performance tips.

The car as it sits right now waiting for everything:
      Name:  038DC930-F542-48CA-BF13-2C9AE9D37C6D.png
Views: 283
Size:  2.19 MB

Hope my rambling mess of a post kept some of you entertained. Im excited to join the community and cannot wait until I can get this custom car back onto the road next summer. I will be updating as more things and parts come in and work on the B95 Bird progresses.

Thanks for reading!

Bost

Country Flag: Canada
      Cool, another Canadian build to watch! I built a '70 Trans Am looking Firebird from a bunch of donor cars about a million years ago (Frankenbird, I called it), it was a fun car until someone smoked it turning left in front of me when I had a green light through an intersection.

Great transformation, man! Way to go

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com