Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fuji Q5 Platinum 5 stage turbine for base coat clear coat with Amazing results!

I picked up this Fuji Q5 Platinum 5 stage turbine with two T75G gravity guns for $1500. A bit spendy but I can use this in my home garage to primer and paint. Its so quiet, about as loud as a shop vac. Best of all it doesn't spit out a ton of over spray and it just flat WORKS!!!

I had a spare repo 67 mustang rear valance laying around so I scuffed it up with dry 320 and a red sctoch pad. I laid 3 coats of reduced Upol system 20 primer on it with a 1.0mm tip on my Fuji HVLP gun. yes that's right, A 1.0mm tip for primer. It laid out so flat I went straight to 600 wet and the panel was ready.

I used some Automotive Art Motobase I got from my local Jobber. It mixes 1:1 with their reducer. It is EXCELLENT paint! coverage is amazing.

Color is a play on Chryslet V2 hemi orange. we used less red and added some white pearls.

I fitted my Fuji with a 3m PPS pressure cup and PPS liners and lids. I also used a 0.8mm tip to spray the base and clear. Setting up a turbine is backwards from a pneumatic HVLP. You set your fan then fluid from closed to open. I ended up with two full turns in from fully open. I can hammer the trigger and just let it flow non stop. No worries about drops in pressure. Just constant dry heated air.

And the results 24 hours later! I sprayed 3 coats of base with a light dusting at about 10 inches away from the panel. Hammered on 2 wet coats of the jobbers cheap house clear mixed 2:1:1 with slow reducer.

the pictures do no justice for the pearls in this paint. I will post a link to a youtube video I made after the second wet clear coat. Its so flat I don't think I would even buff it. The Fuji sprays and such low pressure there is no dust or trash in this panel. I painted it in a dirty garage at 8pm with all sorts of bugs flying around in about 85 degree heat.

here is the youtube video

https://youtu.be/QHDc33hEzhs

FOTGOT TO ADD THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME USING THIS TURBINE FOR BASE AND CLEAR!!! IM A COMPLETE NOOB!

Country Flag: United States
      Turbines first got a bad rap because they were 2 stage heat generators. I got a Titan 6 stage turbine unit at work a few years ago. Not marketed towards car paint, but worked awesome for epoxy & g-2 primer surfacer. Enough so that I may try with single stage black. I may consider getting a Fuji gun, pretty sure same size connectors. Yea, same sound level as a big shop vac, which is nice late nights at home.

Pressure assisted gravity feed sprayers are really the true HVLP setups & are more efficient. In general you size the spray tips smaller & use slower reducers & or retarders to combat the downsides of the warm air. Can also set unit near an ac to pick up cooler air in summer.

Up to you, but paint could be a little flatter. Hadn't got to personally use them yet, But 3-m trizact now has sanding discs that go straight from 3000 to 8000 grit, next level tech stuff. wouldn't need much compounding afterwards. I got a combo 5 pack of each from local jobber, said to be longer life than the older trizact,

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com