Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Son's 79 Y84 TA Project

I just bought a 79 Y84 TA (no t-top) for my 17 y/o son. Stalled project, beautiful shell, mostly there but in boxes, no engine or transmission. Son has a daily so this will be just for learning and fun, maybe some autoX. I have a 70 Formula project with DSE subframe, Quadralink, mini tubs, Bear brakes, Forgeline etc., and we're not going there with this car, at least not until he's through college! The plan is to put it together with what came with it for the most part, and make budget conscious upgrades where it makes sense.

First stop, front suspension and brakes. Looks like the owner before the previous owner installed some QA1 single adjustable coilovers in the factory control arms. Will this work OK? If so, should the mount on the lower section of the coilover be installed on the top of the lower control arm, rather than the bottom as it currently is?

It looks like these are factory spindles. If so, can we use them and get a decent brake upgrade? Any recommendations? Car has 15 snowflakes, but I'll probably end up picking up some 17s WS6 reproductions.

Name:  IMG_3066.jpeg
Views: 501
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3079D.jpeg
Views: 487
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3077D.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  106.0 KB

Learning fun, and maybe some autocross? Sounds like those QA1s will do you just fine. I haven't owned one of these cars so I don't know for sure how those should mount, but all the wait of the car trying to bolts apart makes me uncomfortable. Stock shocks might mount that way, but they aren't coilovers. Looks like you have a great car to work on, eat that elephant one bite at a time.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Name:  0JhKCTI.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  31.4 KB

Subbing for the ride!

A 79 Y84 hardtop.... Awesome

A popular and cost effective brake upgrade is using the 3rd gen F-body 1LE brake package up front. B-body spindles are needed to run the 12" 1LE rotors, but you can get them new or at any GM salvage yard- the rotors and calipers are also available everywhere.

The coilovers will work well but there is also a weld in plate for lower control arms to help distribute the load from the coilover. The lower arm is designed for a coil spring to support the car but now you are only using the 2 bolt holes for the total support.

Both of these are simple and somewhat still mild/stockish mods.

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Addict View Post
      A 79 Y84 hardtop.... Awesome

A popular and cost effective brake upgrade is using the 3rd gen F-body 1LE brake package up front. B-body spindles are needed to run the 12" 1LE rotors, but you can get them new or at any GM salvage yard- the rotors and calipers are also available everywhere.
      Is there anything that would work with the factory '79 spindle?

If you go with 17's you can use the C5 brake upgrade from Kore3 or Flynbye. When I did the conversion I used a kit from Custom Works Products which was great too. C5 is an excellent budget brake upgrade. If you guys want rear disks to match, check out the "LS1" rear brakes from 4th gen Fbodys. Can be had for around $200 bucks and compliments the C5 fronts really well. I ran that on my 76 Trans Am, and am running the slightly larger C6 Z51 front brakes and LS1 rears on my 68 Camaro.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

All my Pontiacs are Pontiac powered, but son wants LS in his TA, which makes sense I guess. So we sourced a high milage LQ4 to build. Ran good before it was pulled out, but want a solid foundation, so dropped it off at my preferred machine shop to get it cleaned up and checked out. They're a couple months behind right now, so will have to wait to determine what we'll do with it. Cam, lifters, oil pump, etc., for sure, but if it needs more than a hone, may stroke it. This will give us time to figure out brakes and suspension. Staying with the budget theme, hoping to find a used TKO600 or even 500...if nothing turns up, most likely TKX.

Name:  IMG_3335D.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  597.2 KB

QA1 control arm "plate"............something like this is what I did on a 69' FBird.

Name:  QA-1 Lower front control arm coilover retrofit.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  76.3 KB
      07 Jeep GC-SRT8
      01 Lightning (sold)
      96 Impala SS (sold)
      93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold)
      90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060)
      79 Trans Am WS6
      71 Formula 400 (sold)
      72 Formula 350 (sold)
      71 Firebird 350 (sold)
      69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)

Damn, nice garage! So much space. My 3 car garage has become a bit tighter once i spread all my sh*t everywhere.

That is great. Simple and effective.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I've used the C5 front and 2002 Camaro rears with great success on a number LS swapped hot. I've used Tobins and Custom Works stuff and both worked well.
      Nice part about the C5 and Camaro brake parts is that you can get parts anywhere and a huge selection of brake pads.

- - - Updated - - -

I've used the C5 front and 2002 Camaro rears with great success on a number LS swapped hot. I've used Tobins and Custom Works stuff and both worked well.
      Nice part about the C5 and Camaro brake parts is that you can get parts anywhere and a huge selection of brake pads.

- - - Updated - - -

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com