Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser - Build Planning and First Post

Hello All,

I've wanted to build a pro-touring style wagon for some time now and I now have finally amassed the budget and a good donor car--a 1982 Cutlass Cruiser.

Plans for the car include a mild Olds 350 -- the original 260 has no oomph and just as much oil pressure; a shift kit for the TH350, and an 8.5 3.73 Posi swap for the rear. Ultimate objective for this car is a jack of all trades. Perform respectably, handle responsively, and cruise smoothly and reliably. This will not be a competition car and will be street driven.

I am still sourcing parts but here is what I have in mind for the suspension so far and some of my thoughts/questions alongside them. Below are my plans for the suspension to date.

Front UCA - SPC 97140 with 0.5" Taller Balljoint
      Front LCA - Stock with Poly bushings i.e. Energy Suspension 3.3171G (Would Delrin be better?) Possibly Progressive Bump Stops for the Lower

Springs - SPC 94390 - I have SPC springs on my 72 Cutlass Supreme and was very happy with them, however SPC does not offer a wagon specific spring rate and the spring rate for the G-Body is much higher than the A-Body. (675 vs 550 lbs/in). I know the A-Body and G-Body are very similar, does anyone else have any experience with SPC springs in a G-Body wagon?

Shocks - Varishock 14x45-425 and Varishock 14x69-715 - I have Varishocks on my 72 and could be convinced to buy them again. I could also be talked into Bilsteins at the right price.

Rear Control Arms - UMI 3026 and UMI 3038. Should I run a roto-joint/johnny-joint on the axle as well? How do roto-joints hold up to street use? Are they uncomfortable in terms of NVH? I have never had a car with spherical bushings. The factory 4 link experiences a lot of binding -- what is the best way to remove this on a street driven car?

Sway Bars - Hellwig 55700 and Hellwig 55809.

Steering - Grand Cherokee Fast Ratio Box and Shaft

Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Oversized Metric Calipers up front. Braided stainless lines. S10 Wheel Cylinders out back with aluminum drums. Thinking about putting a hydroboost from an Astro van or diesel car in here.

Thanks for reading, should be a fun project.

Name:  KIMG0241.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  467.7 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com