Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Firewall pass through

Just wanted to post this up. I was looking for a cleaner way to pass my harness through my firewall. I contact the owner of the business and showed him a design and he was able to produce it. Hopefully this helps others. I am not affiliated with the business or owner.
      https://sharpe-performance.myshopify...illet-bulkhead
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Ahmad B.

Thats nice. What size is the hole?

It's a good looking way to do it for those not using a bulkhead.
      Tracey

I’ve been looking for something like this. Just ordered a ceramic coated one. Thanks for the link!

I was going to use a bulkhead but I wanted to keep the install simple. The bulkhead ads a failure point in my opinion. Vibration, moisture etc etc. The one I posted keeps it simple and clean and you can pass the wiring through the firewall easy in case of a motor swap. I'm glad it helped some of you.

Ahmad
      Ahmad B.

I still want to know what size the hole is

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I still want to know what size the hole is
      It shows in the link. I remember reading it but don’t recall the size for sure. 1.125” IIRC

Edit:
      1.2” for a 2” hole

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      It shows in the link. I remember reading it but don’t recall the size for sure. 1.125” IIRC
      Yep, I missed it "Center hole is 1.2 inch diameter"

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I was going to use a bulkhead but I wanted to keep the install simple. The bulkhead ads a failure point in my opinion. Vibration, moisture etc etc. The one I posted keeps it simple and clean and you can pass the wiring through the firewall easy in case of a motor swap. I'm glad it helped some of you.

Ahmad

Mil Spec Cannon or bayonet style connectors will not give you any of the things you described above, Aerospace and Military, plane manufactures have been using them for years, many years, Steilow, used them years before on one of his cars, cost and knowing how to terminating wires and pinning the connector is the only set back,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Once you price out the multiple Crimpers, the mil spec connections, and hope that you accomplish the job properly the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me personally.

I've worked on diesel trucks, school busses and heavy equipment for 20 years before I became a high school teacher and I can tell you first hand the connections come loose more often then not or get water/ coolant damage.

Some things are better left to the military and high end car builders. I just want a cool hot rod.
      Ahmad B.

Basic reliability engineering says the fewer components and connections in a system the more reliable it is.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You guys think that’s air and water tight? I’m thinking it can’t be. The wire loom is ribbed, surely air and water can pass through that grommet. Unless you silicone the backside I guess. Looks nice though.

It doesn’t need to be air and water tight imho. The car isn’t otherwise hermetically sealed. Not a whole lot of water flows down the firewall imho. Wouldn’t take much to make it more water tight if it’s something that causes you to lose sleep. No firewall grommet on convoluted tubing is likely watertight.

Just my two cents,
      Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com