Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Bolt-in Floater Rear end for GM G Body Cars??

Hi everyone, after building street/strip cars for many years, I am building my first official "pro-touring" car, a 1979 Malibu wagon. I have the front suspension sorted out, but I have not been able to find a manufacturer for a rear axle. I want a Ford 9-inch, full-floater style, that's a bolt in for the GM G Body cars. I'm not going to professionally compete with this, but will be taking it to local SCCA and road course events on rare occasions, so I'm concerned with brake pad knock back, hence my decision to go with a full floater. Anyone know of a rear axle manufacturer I can use?

Country Flag: United States
      Did you try Strange?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Did you try Strange?
      Hi Donny, thanks for the suggestion. I did look into them. Their pro touring kits require 35 spline axles...too big for my 31 spline center section. Also, they only offer wheel studs in either 1/2" or 5/8", which won't match my 12 mm fronts from my C7 Corvette hubs. Not a deal breaker, but annoying to have dedicated front and rear lugnuts.

Have you called GearFX? They make the rears for DSE, maybe they can make you a rear using the DSE floater (that uses the corvette style components).
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the replies. That Millerbuilt setup looks good. I'll check out Gearfx, too...

Just found out I can get floater axles with 2 different spline counts on the same shaft. Who knew??

True, I was told they could build me axles that would use the existing 29 spline True-trac that I have with the c7 spline count bolted to the Miller Built housing ends. I’m not racing so the 29 spline should be sufficient, just haven’t pulled the trigger on that stage of scope creep.
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

What suspension are you running on the front?

I want to bring back the topic of Floater kits. What choices do we have for manufacturers? Someone said Strange, but they cant even provide that right now...they have orders that have been waiting since last summer(including me). Has anyone been able to get a Ford 9" with a floater kit in the last 9 months or so, and if so from whom? Does Currie do their own forgings and machine work in house?

Miller Built is the answer. I didn't bring it up to the OP as he wanted a whole housing. Buy a housing with torino ends and bolt these on https://millerbuiltusa.com/big-ford-base-kit/
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Country Flag: Canada
      I did a strange 9" with weld on millerbuilt floater ends. Jay was top notch to deal with.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

I did a strange fabricated housing from Millerbuilt as well. I gave them all my specs and they provided everything except the center which I already had. Really happy with their work and communication.

Did you try Quick Performance?

My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com