Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ac issues

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 5spd540 View Post
      So my question is how do you make it cool and not freeze up
      You depend on the manufacturer to have done his homework, correctly locating the thermistor and setting the TXV superheat. It is my OPINION that some manufacturer's may run on hope that the A/C doesn't operate long enough to freeze the evap.

I also do not accept that the expansion valve is not adjustable. All valves that I have seen are assemblies that have superheat adjustment. Most of the OEMs use block valves, where the adjustment is an external hex or torks driven bolt like head opposite the power head (the round part on one end of the valve) - Many aftermarket use an internally adjustable TXV- the variants I have seen use a hex key adjustment in the inlet port of the valve.

That said, superheat adjustment is a touchy adjustment. Never seen how they adjust valves on a production basis- when we did experimental valve settings we would set the valve up in a superheat test machine, measure, adjust (OEM style block valve) or remove the feed line, make adjustment (aftermarket valve), test, iterating until we had the superheat value we thought we were looking for.

A superheat test machine is not particularly complex, a guy could make one in his garage. The issue is, you only know in general terms what the result will be. Inadequate superheat and you'll slug liquid refrigerant back to you compressor, and the results of that are usually very unhappy.Name:  Blockvalve.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  32.6 KBName:  Int EQ.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  42.8 KB

I do not recommend screwin' around with superheat. If you do, you didn't hear about it from me
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com