Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Questions on ordering Vintage Air for 69 Camaro

I am ready to order the kit for my car. My car is a non-factory air car. I believe I have read to buy the kit for the factory air car as something about it makes the install nicer. If I buy the factory ac kit then I know I will need to get a new dash pad for a ac car and the factory control panel (whatever you call the piece with the levers). I also plan to hide the hoses in the far side of the fender well so I believe I will need the custom ac hose kit from VA. If anyone can confirm this info or correct it I would appreciate it.

Country Flag: United States
      Yes on everything except fender kit. I believe that is now standard.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thank you Don. I have requested a quote on it and a bunch of other stuff that I need to get ordered.

It really depends on what you already have that you plan on reusing. The side vents are different between AC and non AC so the adapters included are different between the two evaporator kits. Case brackets are the same at the dash and different at the firewall, firewall plates are different.

For a drive in/ drive out install. I order the non air kit for a non air car and then add on the OE AC center vent and corresponding dash pad. Use the DSE delete plate unless your firewall is already smooth.

Hoses route through the kick panel and inner fender now. Get the modified hose kit if you are running a serpentine drive or if you are LS swapped.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I don't really have anything of value. Most of what I have is repro stuff anyway so I am not married to any of it.

get ready to wait. I ordered my kit the first of May and wont receive till mid August.

Sigh...

I am not quite ready for it but had heard of long waits so I am going to order most of the stuff i still need so hopefully none of it will hold me up. I have noticed the price on it all has gone way up.

Spot-on. This is a good recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      It really depends on what you already have that you plan on reusing. The side vents are different between AC and non AC so the adapters included are different between the two evaporator kits. Case brackets are the same at the dash and different at the firewall, firewall plates are different.

For a drive in/ drive out install. I order the non air kit for a non air car and then add on the OE AC center vent and corresponding dash pad. Use the DSE delete plate unless your firewall is already smooth.

Hoses route through the kick panel and inner fender now. Get the modified hose kit if you are running a serpentine drive or if you are LS swapped.
      KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
      '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

We're definitely navigating through trying times. Even throughout the pandemic, we've managed to increase our average daily shipping volume, but demand has been even stronger and we're very appreciative of that. This is a common theme across our beloved industry. When times get tough, our loyal customers turn to their garage and go out and wrench on their cars (which is what I'm also doing right now, along with browsing PT.com). Our suppliers have been amazing, but there are very real challenges in every direction. From commodity shortages, to logistics delays to labor shortages.....there are several new challenges to tackle daily. That said, we're beginning to see things improving in most areas. It's going to take some time to catch back up and we appreciate your patience. As far as our prices, so far you shouldn't see any major increases. Yes, our costs have gone up significantly in some areas, but we are doing our best to contain them and minimize the hit to our customers.

I'm happy that I have shelves full of parts I've been accumulating for years for my project. If I were to order them today, most of them would be hard to come by.

Ryan Zwicker
      Vintage Air, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      get ready to wait. I ordered my kit the first of May and wont receive till mid August.

Sigh...
      Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      I am not quite ready for it but had heard of long waits so I am going to order most of the stuff i still need so hopefully none of it will hold me up. I have noticed the price on it all has gone way up.
      KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
      '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

Ryan, I am glad you posted about the prices. That made me look again and I realized that the kit I have requested a quote on includes a compressor. The kit I had priced earlier does not have a compressor. Since I am doing a LS swap then I believe I need the kit that does NOT come with a compressor.

I’m knee deep in my VA install in my 69 camaro right now.
      so far not that bad. I ordered the non-original ac kit.

Waiting on mine still. Ordered it in September. Hoping to get it very soon

I offered shortly after creating this conversation thread and it all came in about a month ago

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com