Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New event plan

Country Flag: United States

New event plan

Hi, for all the new guys that don't recognize my name, let me reintroduce myself. I joined this forum in 2004. Like everyone else that comes here, I was looking for information about this new style of build referred to as Protouring. I was very involved with the forum, the friendships, the lifestyle that was here. Remember, this was before Facebook so this was our outlet for social media.
      Anyway, I had the wild, unheard of idea to do an actual car event based on plans to both gather with like minded people and to actually drive our cars. The first event had 12 cars and about 20 people. However it was fun, it was hyped here on pro-touring and it had a pretty good run. Many modern day events are spinoffs from that first Run to the Hills event in East Tennessee.
      That said, and hey to all the old guys, life happens, things change, events change and we all move on. In retrospect, I feel some of the allure to those early events were lost in an ever pressing attempt to go from "Touring" events to competitive events. After stepping away from that scene for a couple years, I have decided to go back to my roots and get back to touring and enjoying my cars the way they were originally built for. I am planning a series of events, that will focus on family entertainment, beautiful landscapes and scenery and will not involve a single orange cone. I know this isn't for everyone, and certainly there are events all over the country now if competition is your thing. I also know there is power tour, etc but this will be more hyper focused on one area and won't feel like groundhog day which is synonymous with power tour. If you think you would like to be involved, post up, tell me where you live, where you would like to see an event happen and how long you would be willing to commit to such an idea.
      My thoughts are about a 3 to 4 day event that covers a specific area. I certainly have several places in mind across the country and now just need to know what area has enough interest so I can pick a spot for the first one.
      Bill

Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

I am up in New England and would love to see an event up here. That said we don't seem to have much of a Pro-Touring community up here. With the numerous road courses up here (Club Motorsports, Palmer, Canaan, Lime Rock, Thompson, NHMS), , it is surprising that there isn't a larger following. We do have some wonderful roads along the coast and in the mountains so a nice tour is certainly possible. Maybe your post will stir up some interest.

I would be willing to help if anything developes up our way.

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Central Florida/Orlando area here. Some of the events I attended as a spectator over the years were Year One Experience Road Atlanta (discontinued), Good Guys Kissimmee (discontinued), Daytona optima and Sebring vintage SCCA races where you could take your car on the track behind a pace car.
      Now that my car is finally finished I would definitely like to attend some kind of events in the southeast. Sebring has a large facility for this type of event or Lakeland airport that Carlisle uses as a couple examples but would be willing to travel farther.
      Thanks
      RagRat

Chris Costa

I came along too late in the scene to attend any of the RTT* events and feel like I missed out on an important part of our history. I think we'd be interested in attending a newer version as it sounds like something my wife could get on board with. She is not a fan of attending most of the race oriented events I've gone too in the past. I think a destination location is a good idea with host hotels and fun roads to cruise on and see scenery. Being in Phoenix now, maybe something in the Southern Utah area?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Putting the tour back in pro touring! Looking forward to more info.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I did my first event with you in 2011 at New Jersey Motorsports Park. The sport has changed a lot since then, both good and bad. I'm interested to hear what you might come up with.
      Justin Snow

Having done a 7,000 mile trip in my '68 Camaro from Eastern Washington to Maine and back in 2019, I'm down. The greater Pacific Northwest offers spectacular scenery.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

We took the cars from NJ to Asheville NC last summer, that was a great ride. Lots of miles on the blue ridge parkway, not fast but we had a good time.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      Putting the tour back in pro touring! Looking forward to more info.
      Definitely. Nothing worse than "Pro-Parking Lot".
      Tracey

Oh this sounds like it's going to be fun!
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

I think it s a great idea....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I was just thinking, where’s the touring in pro-touring? 3-4 days sounds about right knowing most will spend 1 or 2 days on the road getting to the event.

Bill,

Great to see you back and I like where you are going with the concept for these events.

I am down! I live in the Kansas City area, so very centrally located no matter where the events are being held.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm sort of new to this, but in my mind a pro-touring event should involve both track time and road time, and take a few days. Everyone meet at destination A to get signed in, pay fees and whatnot. Day 2, set out on a scenic drive to destination B. Day 3, hit the track for some cone work. Day 4, scenic drive to next track, and continue until you've hit all the destinations. Can't see too many wanting to do more than a week like this though, before they have to get back to the real world. You'd need the track time set up so that everyone interested in tracking gets 2-3 shots at running the track, so perhaps allow X number of cars to track but an unlimited number of cars for touring. Such an event could be charged 20 bucks to tour, since those doing the legwork to set it up should be compensated, then those who want to track be charged track cost divided by number of cars to run the track.

Once I get my truck finished, I'm hoping to start attending events like this. Probably won't always do the track, but would like to do the tour.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      I'm sort of new to this, but in my mind a pro-touring event should involve both track time and road time, and take a few days. Everyone meet at destination A to get signed in, pay fees and whatnot. Day 2, set out on a scenic drive to destination B. Day 3, hit the track for some cone work. Day 4, scenic drive to next track, and continue until you've hit all the destinations. Can't see too many wanting to do more than a week like this though, before they have to get back to the real world. You'd need the track time set up so that everyone interested in tracking gets 2-3 shots at running the track, so perhaps allow X number of cars to track but an unlimited number of cars for touring. Such an event could be charged 20 bucks to tour, since those doing the legwork to set it up should be compensated, then those who want to track be charged track cost divided by number of cars to run the track.

Once I get my truck finished, I'm hoping to start attending events like this. Probably won't always do the track, but would like to do the tour.
      If I'm 500-1,000 miles or more from home, I'm not terribly interested in a track day, and to the extent track days cut into touring time, I'm probably out if this is the format. Others are, of course, free to do what they want.

I had a ton of fun passing lines of traffic on US2, a mostly 2 lane road across the northern western states in 2019. My poor passenger probably dented the floor boards as she "braked" while I was shedding 20-40 MPH of differential speed as we pulled back into our lane. Fun times!
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

With all the purpose built track cars being built in the last couple years, this is something that has crossed my mind recently. I really enjoy squeezing every last tenth I can on the autocross, and satisfying my competitive nature. This ultimately results in some flat spotted tires...occasionally all 4. Then driving home from the event like i"m on a cobblestone street. I have yet to get on a road course, but this is something I'd definitely like to do at some point. But at the end of the day, I don't want to drive around daily in a race car. So I've been considering either making some changes to my car, or possibly building something a bit bigger with more room, and the ultimate comfort inside. Something that I can get in and drive anywhere and be comfortable for the length of the trip- ultra comfortable seats, and maybe just a little less spring rate for those bumps and rough roads. I'm not really sure that I actually have a plan or direction, but this post continues to make me think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      If I'm 500-1,000 miles or more from home, I'm not terribly interested in a track day, and to the extent track days cut into touring time, I'm probably out if this is the format. Others are, of course, free to do what they want.

I had a ton of fun passing lines of traffic on US2, a mostly 2 lane road across the northern western states in 2019. My poor passenger probably dented the floor boards as she "braked" while I was shedding 20-40 MPH of differential speed as we pulled back into our lane. Fun times!
      Yeah, I enjoy a good blast down the highway as well. But a track day doesn't have to be JUST a track day. Since these events are social events, you have a track day with a pit party and car show. If you don't want to track you can watch others on the track, see all these cars we only see in pictures on the net right now and meet these interesting internet personalities in the flesh. Plus, you invite a few food trucks to come out and make sure they're stocked with plenty of liquid refreshment.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

So has anyone tried doing a "Hill Climb" instead of a cone course? I went with a friend of mine at Club Motorsports in Tamworth NH this spring and it was a real hoot! Basically it was a standing start from the pit out to the last corner before pit out. So basically a standing start for just shy of a single lap on the road course, about 2.2 miles total. They put a cone chicane into the back straight to slow it down a bit too.

It was really fun and everyone said they would do it again. Just a thought that would work with most road courses (certainly up here in New England). Then have the touring days connecting a couple of the courses. Most courses up here are no more than three hours apart by highway, but many hours of back roads driving through some very nice territory otherwise. Maybe do the "tour" part in the "Poker Run" style. In fact I am sure a drive up the Mt Washington auto road could be involved too.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

So in the fall of 2018 we had? to attend a wedding in the east Glacier Lodge. We arrived on Friday and decided to for a cruise around the area in the morning. We were driving my wife's 300 so we were a bit limited on the roads we could go on. We found out after about 30 miles north and east of Glacier the road was being totally rebuilt. We turned around and got back to lodge at lunch time and found a MT rally that included L88 Corvettes, GT350's Mustangs, and about 30 very expensive cars. All owners were very cool to talk to. They had stopped at the lodge for lunch and were headed up the same road we didn't like. I spoke to the leader and he said in for a penny in for a pound. They run this rally out of Bozeman every year and do it for charity. Maybe something you could do with your new event? Some type of entry fee going to the charity of choice?

Well, like Bill first stated this is going to be a "touring" event. I am aware that people like the AutoX type, if that's to your liking, set up a event for what you want to do. Not trying to be a downer but this event (in my way of thinking) is a touring event.
      Bill, How about a Arkansas run? plenty of beautiful scenery, lakes, curvy highways etc....
      Sounds like fun to me.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com