Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

electric parking brake retrofit

Has anyone succesfully outfitted a new style electric paking brake setup into an older car without using a BCM? Id like to use the c7 parking (or similar) brake setup on my Brembo calipers on my 63 corvette. Ive googled it to death without much luck.

E-Stopp? Used it many times.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I ordered one and It came in with a bad controller, but it is longer then I anticipated and dont really have a good location to mount the unit. I just sent it back and looking at other options.

I saw a thread on someone using a Tesla electric parking brake. You can search for that. Also Wilwood came out with one as well

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I saw a thread on someone using a Tesla electric parking brake. You can search for that. Also Wilwood came out with one as well
      they both use a separate caliper, I’d like to use the “drum” parking brake in my brembo calipers.

I don’t think anything exists other than estopp and this kit I got for my 69 Camaro, but it’s big and loud but it’s half the price of the estopp. You can mount both kits under the car since you don’t have room inside.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Push-Button...-127632-2357-0

Another option is if you want to go salvage yard diving is late model Silverado's. My 20 Silverado has a push button e-brake.

Name:  3C07310C-D03A-40CE-B3C8-08730A30DF88.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  816.8 KB
      I mounted the E-Stopp in the trunk. My first controller was bad but they made it right very quickly. Works great now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
      ...brake setup into an older car....but it is longer then I anticipated and don't really have a good location to mount the unit....
      Not sure what "older" is but here is my solution on a '56 Chevy Panel - probably over thought it but it works great and solved my real estate problem. I'm running S10 disc brakes in rear with drum in hat parking brakes:
      Name:  20210529_133706.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  316.3 KB
      -Bob (66 Nova)

It’s in a 63 corvette on a roadster shop chassis. The car sits low in the chassis and the exhaust is tight to the body so even after mounting the unit, cable routing is a problem. Therefore I’m looking for an individual per wheel solution like gm uses on their newer brakes. I just ordered some Tesla calipers to see if I can modify them to fit over my 15.5”x1.250” rotors.

It sounds like you're looking for an emergency braking solution in general, not necessarily electric brakes. Can you run the cabling inside the cabin if it can't run outside? A sheathed cable (think 10 speed bike) connected to a center console hand brake can be run under the carpeting and you can have it pop out right at the rear wheels. You'll want to think of a means to lube it while running it since being in the cabin you're more likely to hear the cable move.

Personally, not a fan of electric emergency brakes after living with one for several years in a Lincoln LS. It was either on or off, making it more of a parking brake than an emergency brake that can be modulated.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      It sounds like you're looking for an emergency braking solution in general, not necessarily electric brakes. Can you run the cabling inside the cabin if it can't run outside? A sheathed cable (think 10 speed bike) connected to a center console hand brake can be run under the carpeting and you can have it pop out right at the rear wheels. You'll want to think of a means to lube it while running it since being in the cabin you're more likely to hear the cable move.

Personally, not a fan of electric emergency brakes after living with one for several years in a Lincoln LS. It was either on or off, making it more of a parking brake than an emergency brake that can be modulated.

well. My brembos are outfitted with all the emergency brake shoes and actuators in the rotor hats, so ideally I’d like to use that. But I’ll live if I don’t use it. My only reason for electric is to get away from the mechanical portion in the car, everything else is modern so I’d like this to be also. I’m running a 8l90 so I don’t really picture myself needing the brake, I just rather have a parking brake for that once in a while scenario of parking on a steep incline.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
      well. My brembos are outfitted with all the emergency brake shoes and actuators in the rotor hats, so ideally I’d like to use that. But I’ll live if I don’t use it. My only reason for electric is to get away from the mechanical portion in the car, everything else is modern so I’d like this to be also. I’m running a 8l90 so I don’t really picture myself needing the brake, I just rather have a parking brake for that once in a while scenario of parking on a steep incline.
      A lot of the stuff out there is just an electric replacement for the manual parking lever. Something is still going to have to pull on the cables.
      Wilwood however does have a true electric activated parking brake setup.

https://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch?q=140-1584
      Tracey

We’re using this controller in our shop car with Tesla calipers. The tesla calipers have a reverse polarity power/ground and position sensor connections. I’ve never had a c7 parking brake motor in my hands, but I assume the BCM controls it based on current load or maybe a position sensor in the motor. Technically you could just hook up a traditional switch and use your judgment to stop applying power when you feel fit.

https://www.pantera-electronics.com/epbcontroller.htm
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      We’re using this controller in our shop car with Tesla calipers. The tesla calipers have a reverse polarity power/ground and position sensor connections. I’ve never had a c7 parking brake motor in my hands, but I assume the BCM controls it based on current load or maybe a position sensor in the motor. Technically you could just hook up a traditional switch and use your judgment to stop applying power when you feel fit.

https://www.pantera-electronics.com/epbcontroller.htm

I ordered a c7 actuator to try to make it work with something that looks for an amperage spike to stop it. I’m just hoping someone else had ran into that and made it work, I really want just a one push operation.
      And I also have a Tesla caliper coming for me to look at, I’ll use that pantera deal if I go that route. just not crazy about the problems they have had with those calipers, cause I really don’t see myself using this very often. And I’ll have to modify the Tesla calipers to fit over my rotors.