Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Front Tow Hook/Strap mounting ideas?

Looking for ideas on front tow hook/strap mounts. I finally did my 1st track day with my car and loved it! So now I really should have a strong place for a tow location on the front. The back I have sorted.

My car is a 1969 Camaro specifically, but I am interested in ideas for any cars that might have similar front frames. Pictures would be great and links if applicable.

I look forward to the input. Cheers, Steve
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I used a racequip tow strap. It's just mounted to a simple 3/8 L bracket. I plan on just tucking it away when not in use with a simple hair tie.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I used a racequip tow strap. It's just mounted to a simple 3/8 L bracket. I plan on just tucking it away when not in use with a simple hair tie.
      Good idea, but don't think you will like the results if you have to get towed? Think about how your car sits, envision a rollback or someone with a winch / trailer hitch pulling on that strap. If they're not at 100% correct angle the entire time you're hooked up, you're going to lose a cooler, bend the roll pan / crack paint, etc. The right angle bracket is also in danger of bending. Imagine being pulled, some slack goes into the line, then tow vehicle starts to accelerate, slack gets taken up and there's a large load on that bracket. Since you have the bolt attachment so far away from the frame, it's increased it's ability to put torque on that 90 degree angle, no bueno mi amigo.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

The strap is for a flat tow at the track not flat bed. Underneath on my frame is 2 eyelets for flat bed towing. At the rear I also have a Racequip strap for flat tow and 2 eyelete tie downs at the axle.

It's hard to see in my picture but there's room between my cooler and roll pan. The strap is mounted lower then the cooler which puts it at an upward angle up and away from the cooler and roll pan. I'm using a grade 8 bolt and lock nut that are only tightened to a point to allow the strap to pivot freely.

He never specified flat tow or flat bed tow truck tow.
      Ahmad B.

So yes I am only looking to make something for towing off the track. That said they commonly use a tow strap to a recovery truck. Therefore there can be a less than perfect angle for the initial tow back onto the track and there is a very tight turn on the pit out road.

I like the strap idea but would want to make sure it is solid enough from the frame connection to the strap connection point.

Having a removable solid eye or ring of some kind projecting out is fine too.

I appreciate all the ideas. I know lots of people have done them so hoping to see some more.

OK, to be transparent. I did have a mechanical at the track which required me to get towed (with no hook). Luckily I do not have a spoiler on the front (Yet). That allowed us to loop the lower subframe brace in the center. This worked fine but I need a better setup.

PS - The mechanical was my fuel fitting disconnecting from the fuel rail. Super lucky no engine fire and was able to fix it in the pits and go out the next session. So expect a fire extinguisher question soon.....
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Check with Vince at Mean Strees Performance in Gilroy CA. He is a site sponser. He use to make track tow hooks for first gen Camaros. If I remember correctly, Mark Steilow is running one on one of his cars.
      Greg

Here's an older link from what others have done.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...tow-hook-setup
      Ahmad B.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com