Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      or EV Camino

Pretty cool build to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post

I started watching this over the weekend. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Country Flag: Australia
      Delorean would be my first choice for an EV swap
      Roger Andrews

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
      72 C10 Stepside 350 4L60e - oldskool
      71 K5 Blazer

My 68 Camaro.. i'd love to be able to EV it. I do work for electric transmission lines so it just fits.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post

That is cool. Thanks for posting that.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I’ve been watching for a good deal on a wrecked Tesla for a while. If I can find one I can afford I’ll do another 66 Chevelle project, this one all electric.
      My current 66 doesn’t have a V8 so the next step would be electric.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank. Built for 35 mpg. So far 32.

Each to their own I guess but I'd send my 70 firebird to the crusher before seeing an electric motor in it EDIT - I'm not really going to crush it by the way, I just live in England and it feels like we're really being had here with the whole electric car move. The cost of running a petrol V8 is already way expensive here, but a lot of us are still keeping the faith!

My old 67 Fairlane seems like it would be a good candidate. no power steering, no power brakes, the car is very light but has lots of trunk space for batteries, and it also has deep rocker panels and plenty of head room, so, batteries under the floor also seems like a possibility. I think it would be a fun challenge, but I I am completely underwhelmed with battery technology, and have little interest in purchasing enough batteries to make the car go fast, and have enough range. At the rate I finish projects, if I were to start an EV conversion today, the Govt would be trying to outlaw EV's by the time i got it on the road.
      Name:  20200322_110540.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  751.7 KB
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      1970 Buick Electra 225 convertible, just because "Electra."

Any Corvair that can be saved...

Waiting patiently on my Tesla Model 3 performance in a couple of weeks (I hope).
      My wife's Model 3 Performance was delivered back in August. It might not have the charm and engagement of a classic but the refined performance is pretty incredible.

It's also nice to beat on it without drawing any unwanted attention lol.

The link below shows a HUGE picture of the upcoming Rivian truck/SUV drivetrain. You can't see the rear motors due to a plate, but the wiring makes it look like the rear is set up the same as the front, and it's supposed to be a 4-motor rig. The motors themselves look to be around 14x14x12 inches each. The wheels are 21 inches standard, tires look to be around 30 inches in diameter, for comparison. When the time comes this looks like it will bolt into any IRS rig, and a modified Corvette front suspension would allow the front motors to work. I'd not use the front motors myself, as AWD feels too much like FWD to me and I haaaate driving FWD vehicles, but for those who like/want this really doesn't look like it'll be hard to put into an old car or truck.

Rivian drivetrain
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Hello all,

This is my first post on this post so I hope I dont get flamed for putting this nonsense out there!

The conversions for this are much easier and cheaper then most people think. Companies like EV West already sell bolt in conversions for VW, Porsche, and Factory Five cars. They also sell all the motors/battery supplies to go as fast as your heart or wallet desires.

For a classic car street conversion the build is very simple Warp DC9 motor bolted to a modified powerglide (they use an inline to pump to maintain pressure in the tranny when the vehicle is parked) then you use the rest of your factory drivetrain. There are a few crazy guys out there that that bolt 2 of these motors together and have fully streetable 9 second street cars. I saw an article a few years back I believe in Dragzine of a guy that had a tube chassis car running low 8s and I remember him saying the motor, controller, and battery packs cost him a total of $30k which was equivalent to buying a drag motor from any reputable engine builder and the maintenance cost was much less. This is the future of motorsports and even companies like JEGS have EV conversions (which are WAY overpriced) for junior dragsters. A few of my friends have their kids driving electric junior dragsters and everyone says how much better it has been. The kids can tune their own cars on the laptop and when they are on the starting line staging the car they can actually hear you when you are talking to them (listening to you might be a different story!!). In a few more years my son will be driving an electric junior dragster!

When it comes to EV conversions on classics, it seems like a case of "go big or go home." Just my opinion.

I don't see the point of it for a mildly-modified cruiser. It's a lotta money & work to build a car with less range and fewer places to refuel it than normal. And the typical location for the batteries is the trunk, which renders that unusable for luggage.

The resulting car would be "interesting" but so is an Oscar-Meyer Weinermobile.

The EV conversion earns its money in sports-car performance. But to do that, you gotta reconfigure the whole drivetrain for electric like the OEMs are doing. Mount the battery pack low in the center/cabin floor area. Motor(s) located at the axle(s).

This means building a whole custom frame/floor around the swap. Not easy. But the end result would be REALLY fast/sporty.

Smurf truck live!

im ready for a legit GM turn key DIY kit for the SMURF TRUCK! Is there anything affordable out there like this with at least a 250 mile range?
      My Dad got this when i was around 7 from my uncle.
      I drove it in high school before I bought my 68 Camaro from my older brother.
      I eventually upgraded dad when he retired in 2000 with all the era correct stuff, Gen 1 small block, .030 over flat tops, RV cam, dual exhaust, mustang front clip, pwr front disc brakes from a town and country wagon, tilt column and posi rear end out of an OLDS 442.
      Dad passed in late 2007 and left to me, I plan on making it my "OLD MAN" retirement putter arounder and thing it would be perfect for an ECRUZ machine. Whole bed for battery cells, controller, electronics etc.....tubbed with some steam rollers for traction is the dream, keeping the patina but open door will show luxury interior with bells and whistles.
      Name:  GRILL.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  115.5 KBName:  taft.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  65.3 KBName:  OG ENGINE.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  127.0 KBName:  INTERIOR.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  116.5 KB

Really... any car or truck is "right" for an EV conversion.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

A EV Fiero would be cool. They have almost Zero value and they handle good. I owned a couple in the early 90's. Like a little slot car.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

I just found out that the tesla model 3 wheel base is the same as my Fairlane. the track width is a bit narrow, but nothing that some offset wheels wouldn't solve. A salvage model 3 might be the ticket for a decent EV conversion for this car. more or less making it a body swap. It almost has me wondering if it would be less fabrication than I put into my mustang. The Model S is only 3 in longer than my fairlane, and closer to the track width i would need. there's plenty of those (salvaged) in the 20k range. thats relatively cheap compared to upgrading the suspension, brakes, engine, transmission etc, to make my car perform equal to a model S. the finished product might even have a decent battery range.....maybe....my fairlane is probably less aerodynamic than a cube.
      does this mean i am diving head first into an EV conversion?? probably not, but the bang for the buck seems to be good.

Name:  model 3 chassis.PNG
Views: 177
Size:  425.0 KB
      Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      I just found out that the tesla model 3 wheel base is the same as my Fairlane. the track width is a bit narrow, but nothing that some offset wheels wouldn't solve. A salvage model 3 might be the ticket for a decent EV conversion for this car. more or less making it a body swap. It almost has me wondering if it would be less fabrication than I put into my mustang. The Model S is only 3 in longer than my fairlane, and closer to the track width i would need. there's plenty of those (salvaged) in the 20k range. thats relatively cheap compared to upgrading the suspension, brakes, engine, transmission etc, to make my car perform equal to a model S. the finished product might even have a decent battery range.....maybe....my fairlane is probably less aerodynamic than a cube.
      does this mean i am diving head first into an EV conversion?? probably not, but the bang for the buck seems to be good.

Name:  model 3 chassis.PNG
Views: 177
Size:  425.0 KB
      well it would be the right wheelbase but the tack width is about 6" too wide, maybe custom set of wide body fenders?
      we shall see.

62.2" for the tesla, my fairlane currently measures at 69".

Zach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com