Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register



    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 25

    Thread: What tire?

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Port Orange, Florida
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: United States

      What tire?

      Hello everyone! I building a "starter" pro-touring truck, a '71 C-10. Currently has a 350/350 plan on LS swapping in the future. Question I have is I dropped it with a Bell-Tech 4/6 kit (2" spring and 2" spindle in the front, coil springs in the rear), I just got my US Mags 18x9.5 Wheels, does anyone recommend a good size tire to run? I'm actually going to be driving it daily and will use it as a very light duty truck. I was thinking a 275/45 18 or maybe 285/40 18, think they'll fit? What brand and style would you recommend? Thanks!

      Attached Images Attached Images    


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122

      What tire?

      A lot of pro touring builds on that size as far as Iíve seen use 275/30-18ís because of the wide selection of tires choices (Rivals, Potenzas etc). But I currently use 275/40-18 on my c10 with 18x9ís and the side wall bulges just a bit. Just enough where it looks good to me.

      Depending on where you live (like dry and hot weather or cold and wet) will kind of decide what tire you use.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Port Orange, Florida
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks! Love to see a picture of your tire/wheel selection. I live in Florida, so a "summer" tire will be the obvious choice for me. I will be taking this on Hot Rod power tour this year (taking my dad), so so sort of ride comfort would be nice.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRN View Post
      Thanks! Love to see a picture of your tire/wheel selection. I live in Florida, so a "summer" tire will be the obvious choice for me. I will be taking this on Hot Rod power tour this year (taking my dad), so so sort of ride comfort would be nice.
      Name:  IMG_8905.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  673.6 KB

      I run pilot a/s4ís up front and I run a sticky sumner tire out back.

      The original summer tires up front were tearing the paint off of everything under my truck so I switched them out to pilot all seasons. And they are a fantastic tire. Iím half tempted to try a set on the back to see how they hold up. my truck makes 640whp so I kind of have to run something sticky on the back though.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      17
      Country Flag: United States
      I’m running the same wheel in back (but black) and a 295/45-18 Nitto NT555 G2. Don’t know how they are yet since my truck’s not running. Don’t pay attention to the front, that’s the other back wheel. The front wheel will be 18 x 8 w/ 255/45-18. Front will also be 1 - 1 1/2 inches lower w/ engine and trans. I didn’t want to go shorter than a 45 series so the options are more limited. Good luck with your truck. Oh, and it’s also a Dodge. ��

      Name:  68F22604-F37F-420F-B09F-F4A1B0591A95.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  394.5 KB

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Port Orange, Florida
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: United States
      Sweet truck Dodge383fi Thanks for the info! Good luck with the build.

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Port Orange, Florida
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the picture! I believe I've seen your build, great engineering! I'm jealous! What suspension are you running? Any issues with rubbing? Do you think you could fit a 285 if you wanted to?

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122
      Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRN View Post
      Thanks for the picture! I believe I've seen your build, great engineering! I'm jealous! What suspension are you running? Any issues with rubbing? Do you think you could fit a 285 if you wanted to?
      Thank you! Itís been a lot of work. Itís a Hotchkis TVS kit. No rubbing issues. My rear is tubbed because I wanted to eventually have a 17x10 or 17x12 wheel with a drag radial for the strip but I havenít gotten to do that yet, my rears if Iím not dumping the clutch from a dig actually hook very well.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Mar 2020
      Posts
      127
      I have good results with a Nitto 555 G2... decent tread wear (300) & reasonable cost. The Mickey Thompson Street Comps are also decent.

      You can get a better performing tire such as a Michelin Pilot or even a NT02 Nitto, but at a much higher price & reduced life span.
      Not necessary unless you plan on corner carving on a regular basis.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122

      What tire?

      Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      I have good results with a Nitto 555 G2... decent tread wear (300) & reasonable cost. The Mickey Thompson Street Comps are also decent.

      You can get a better performing tire such as a Michelin Pilot or even a NT02 Nitto, but at a much higher price & reduced life span.
      Not necessary unless you plan on corner carving on a regular basis.
      Were you getting good mileage out of the G2ís? I was hearing the lifespan wasnít all that great, 10,000-12,000 miles. We have them on a couple turbo street trucks but they donít do any corner carving.

      I would say pilot super sports get 30,000 miles, as long as his truck isnít at -3* camber and heís not burning them off at every stop light.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Mar 2020
      Posts
      127
      Quote Originally Posted by Cshenker1121 View Post
      Were you getting good mileage out of the G2ís? I was hearing the lifespan wasnít all that great, 10,000-12,000 miles. We have them on a couple turbo street trucks but they donít do any corner carving.

      I would say pilot super sports get 30,000 miles, as long as his truck isnít at -3* camber and heís not burning them off at every stop light.
      I cannot elaborate on mileage.... I buy performance tires to abuse them.

      My recommendations were performance based & a compromise in relation to a 100-200 tread wear Ultra Performance tire that lasts maybe 5,000mi.
      I just assumed that anyone lowering a vehicle & putting big tires on was trying to increase performance.

      If not, maybe a harder all season tire is more appropriate.
      Personally on the terrible PA roads I travel, I barely get over 25,000mi. with a 500+ tread wear tire on my daily driver, including Cooper, Michelin & Continentals.

      I never tried the Michelin SS (30,000 mi warranty) but I have also never got near the mileage warranty they claim (usually half) on any tire I buy.... It is nice getting a discount on the next set though.
      I basically buy good tires with warranty, get the mileage adjustment & end up paying the same as cheap tires with no warranty.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122
      Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      I cannot elaborate on mileage.... I buy performance tires to abuse them.

      My recommendations were performance based & a compromise in relation to a 100-200 tread wear Ultra Performance tire that lasts maybe 5,000mi.
      I just assumed that anyone lowering a vehicle & putting big tires on was trying to increase performance.

      If not, maybe a harder all season tire is more appropriate.
      Personally on the terrible PA roads I travel, I barely get over 25,000mi. with a 500+ tread wear tire on my daily driver, including Cooper, Michelin & Continentals.

      I never tried the Michelin SS (30,000 mi warranty) but I have also never got near the mileage warranty they claim (usually half) on any tire I buy.... It is nice getting a discount on the next set though.
      I basically buy good tires with warranty, get the mileage adjustment & end up paying the same as cheap tires with no warranty.
      I donít think a pick up truck with a bell tech drop and a 350 small block is really going to push the limits/ abuse most or any performance tires lol 5000 miles out of a tire on a truck lightly modified like that seems a bit overkill. Might as well get something safe to drive in most weather conditions that still grips well.

      Thanks for the input though Lonnie

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Port Orange, Florida
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      I have good results with a Nitto 555 G2... decent tread wear (300) & reasonable cost. The Mickey Thompson Street Comps are also decent.

      You can get a better performing tire such as a Michelin Pilot or even a NT02 Nitto, but at a much higher price & reduced life span.
      Not necessary unless you plan on corner carving on a regular basis.
      Thanks for the info!

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Hildebran, NC
      Posts
      981
      Country Flag: United States

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Port Orange, Florida
      Posts
      11
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      This is exactly what I'm looking for! I tried reaching out to him on http://67-72chevytrucks.com but somethings wrong with their site. Thanks for sending me that link!

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Mar 2020
      Posts
      127
      I never recommended a 5,000 mi. tire... that would be a NT05.
      I have these on the rear of my S10 & they come with only 7/32" tread & are real close to the wear bars after a little over 1000mi.

      I suggested a NT555 which is a 15,000-30,000 +/- tire (depending on your driving habits) that works in all weather conditions except for snow.

      Also it doesn't take a lot of HP or a performance car to go around turns.... Any vehicle & a general lack of fear and/or common sense, is a recipe for an exciting cornering experience.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122

      What tire?

      Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      I never recommended a 5,000 mi. tire... that would be a NT05.
      I have these on the rear of my S10 & they come with only 7/32" tread & are real close to the wear bars after a little over 1000mi.

      I suggested a NT555 which is a 15,000-30,000 +/- tire (depending on your driving habits) that works in all weather conditions except for snow.

      Also it doesn't take a lot of HP or a performance car to go around turns.... Any vehicle & a general lack of fear and/or common sense, is a recipe for an exciting cornering experience.
      Oh no I wasnít asking what you had. I was just trying to give this fella the best all around option in my opinion For a daily driver/spirited driving truck. Although I never personally used any nittos, Iíve see too many mixed reviews on them. I decided to fork out the money for pilots.

      And absolutely not, it doesnít take a lot of horsepower to go around turns, but pushing a performance tire to its limits typically (99% of the time) takes performance and/or horsepower.

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Mar 2020
      Posts
      127
      Honestly liked the Pilots, but at $280 for a NT555 vs $360 for the Michelin (305/30-19), I saved a quite a few $$ for a comparable tread wear rating.
      Time will tell how they last.

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      122
      Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Honestly liked the Pilots, but at $280 for a NT555 vs $360 for the Michelin (305/30-19), I saved a quite a few $$ for a comparable tread wear rating.
      Time will tell how they last.
      At that size, I can see where Iíd wanna save the money too.

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Posts
      2,445
      Country Flag: United States
      Supposedly those things will take a 295 up front with the right offset. It's pretty shallow IIRC.

      This might help:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLEdSPmbaIk
      He mentions the rim width and backspace I think in the video, which you can then use to calculate the offset and compare to yours. You may have to go to a 275 if yours has too much.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast