Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best Cruise Control Kit

I am putting together my 68' Camaro Convertible restomod and just have a couple more things to decide on. I want to add cruise control and not sure which kit to buy. My camaro has a LS1 DBW 4l65e and I have a Ididit polished aluminum steering column on order. I have seen the Ididit kit and the Dakota Digital kit. Does anyone have experience with these and have a recommendation on which to get?
      Tim

68' Convertible Camaro SS (eventually PT)

Dakota may manufacture their own but Ididit is just a dealer for Rostra which is a company thats been around forever. You can buy straight from them.
      Tracey

Country Flag: United States
      Dakota Digital rebrands Rostra with their own name. I brought the CRC-2000. The documentation is lacking a little, but once you get it hooked up correctly it works pretty good.

Thanks Guys! Glad I asked.
      Tim

I am going to sell the one I have (NIB DD unit for dbw). It connects to the obd2 connector. If you can wait until next week, out of town on business right now.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

If it's drive by wire you could get a cruise control module from the junkyard and have cruise by installing a switch and 2 buttons. I have a DBW LQ4 in my 64 Chevelle and wired up the cruise in it.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      If it's drive by wire you could get a cruise control module from the junkyard and have cruise by installing a switch and 2 buttons. I have a DBW LQ4 in my 64 Chevelle and wired up the cruise in it.
      This is interesting. What module and switches are needed? How do they plug in or hardwire? I have an aftermarket harness, 2008 setup.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

It works with your tac module and pcm. My module came with my engine setup, unsure of where it's located on Tahoe/Silverado. This is what it looks like, mine is zip tied under my 64 dash:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2006-C....m46890.l49286

Schematics:

https://www.gmtruckclub.com/threads/...7/post-3244716

I ran a random toggle switch for on/off and 2 small nitrous push buttons for set/decel & accel. It works great. You also need a newer style brake switch, which you should have for the lockup converter.
      *Jeff*

This is how I set mine up. Top rocker is power, sends +12v to the 2 momentary buttons below it. Top button is accel, bottom button is set/decel.

Name:  0613211822.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  248.1 KB
      *Jeff*

here's the schematic I used to wire mine up, found the link cleaning up:

http://lt1swap.com/dbw.htm
      *Jeff*

Great, thanks!
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

I did contact Ididit and ordered the suggested P/N and the Dakota Digital CRC-1000 kit arrived. I looked on DD site and they said the kit is for 2005-2013 Corvettes. I have a 1999 Corvette DBW engine in my 68 Camaro. Will this kit work on my car?
      Tim

Which ECM are you using?

I was exchanging emails with Speartech and they said that their cruise control wouldn't work with an E67 ECM. I also contacted Dakota Digital and they said theirs also would not work with an E67 ECM. Both work with the E38. In looking at HP Tuners board there's some indication that the E67 has cruise control capabilities within the ECM. I noticed that most of the GM crate harnesses are using the E67 ECMs.

I'm using the DD CRC-2000 with an E67 ECM, works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      I'm using the DD CRC-2000 with an E67 ECM, works fine.
      Hmmm, I wonder why DD and Speartech said it wouldn't work. Whos wiring harness are you using, which throttle pedal, and how are you getting the VSS info?

Quote Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
      Hmmm, I wonder why DD and Speartech said it wouldn't work. Whos wiring harness are you using, which throttle pedal, and how are you getting the VSS info?
      The engine harness, throttle pedal and E67 ECU came with the GM engine control system (19354336). I'm also using the DD VHX gauges. The vss originates form the E67 bulkhead connector and connects to the VHX gauge controller. This gauge controller has a vss output that I connected to the CRC-2000 controller. I did have to fiddle with some settings in the E67 to get it to output the correct number of vss pulses per minute.

The engine harness, throttle pedal and E67 ECU came with the GM engine control system (19354336). I'm also using the DD VHX gauges. The vss originates form the E67 bulkhead connector and connects to the VHX gauge controller. This gauge controller has a vss output that I connected to the CRC-2000 controller. I did have to fiddle with some settings in the E67 to get it to output the correct number of vss pulses per minute.
      Thanks for the response and nice looking Camaro. I'm doing a '67 Chevelle with a 396 "LSA" so I'm trying to get things worked out as much as I can before purchasing. Speartech will make the LSA harness to use either an E38 or an E67 and I want to use the E67 so I can get the additional sensors and features for my setup. Once they said I couldn't use their or DD's cruise I was concerned since I want to have cruise control in the car. I am using the Corvette throttle pedal which is a little different than the one that comes in GM's kit, but it's the pedal Speartech uses so that shouldn't be the issue.

I'm trying to clarify this "The vss originates form the E67 bulkhead connector and connects to the VHX gauge controller. This gauge controller has a vss output that I connected to the CRC-2000 controller." So you're not using the OBD BIM for speed? Did the GM harness come with separate wiring for the VSS output?

I think I see now. You're using the Brown wire, correct?

From the GM instruction sheets.

• Vehicle Speed (BROWN) – This is a non scaled output for use
      with auto-scaling speedometers and will not function unless a
      vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is connected to the ECM through
      the VSS wire in the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
      I think I see now. You're using the Brown wire, correct?

From the GM instruction sheets.

• Vehicle Speed (BROWN) – This is a non scaled output for use
      with auto-scaling speedometers and will not function unless a
      vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is connected to the ECM through
      the VSS wire in the harness.
      Correct. I specifically went with the CRC-2000 vs the CRC-1000 because it doesn't require an OBD port connection. I wanted to leave that port open for tuning/diag purposes.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com