Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

70 Nova -- Project Serena

Not new to the forum, but have something new to bring to the table. This project will have more meaning than my Cutlass as its a tribute car. I lost my younger brother earlier this year unexpectedly and this is my way of getting through the pain. My brother and I were very close and he was my biggest supporter in my Cutlass project.

He and I talked about doing a car for him in the near future either 73 Cutlass or possibly a Nova being the second choice. I passed on the Cutlass because I have one and I couldn't find the one with the larger quarter window that he liked. I was able to find a Nova nearby that I didn't have to convert from a drag car back to a street car. I'm my emotions let me overpay a little, but I'm satisfied. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions since I don't have any X body experience, but I'm down to learn

The end goal is to be something he would have enjoyed drive the wheels off of....

The name came from my brothers love of you guessed it, Serena Williams and her rear...lol I'll make sure Serena has the right look from behind...

Plans are :

Disc Brake Upgrade
      4 Link and rear coilovers
      Tru Turn and front Coilovers
      LS with T56
      DSE Mini tubs
      18x9 and 18x11 wheels

I'll be scouring for parts so let me know if you see something good...

Here she is... Not perfect by any means, but a decent start
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Chris, what a great start to a project. Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Couldn't have picked a better tribute car, he had great taste. Subscribed for updates.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Chris sorry about ur brother. A 70 nova was my first car so I know how ur brother felt. My dad had it since new and gave it to me for my 16 birthday. I would almost guarantee that every person on this site has payed more for a car than they should have and from experience with that kind of build your not done overpaying lol. Good luck with the build.

Sorry for your loss. I doubt you overpaid for that car. I see Novas up for sale for 10 grand that look like someone tried to preserve the car in a pool of salt water. That looks like a good, solid car from the pics.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Country Flag: Canada
      My car has an emotional attachment too and , i promise when i start my build thread I'll lay it out there . sorry to hear about your brother , i hope you carry his vision thru . not sure if you want it but .. cover the shipping ill give you a decent ls9 clutch set up if you can make use of it . I'm going to end up going to a auto 10 speed
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Chris, what a great start to a project. Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Couldn't have picked a better tribute car, he had great taste. Subscribed for updates.
      Between this and my Cutlass, the summer should be busy. He would definitely love what I have planned for car.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      Chris sorry about ur brother. A 70 nova was my first car so I know how ur brother felt. My dad had it since new and gave it to me for my 16 birthday. I would almost guarantee that every person on this site has payed more for a car than they should have and from experience with that kind of build your not done overpaying lol. Good luck with the build.
      Yeah, I thought about it after we made the deal. I'm not going to over think it. You're right, I'm sure I'm not the only or last one to overpay...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Sorry for your loss. I doubt you overpaid for that car. I see Novas up for sale for 10 grand that look like someone tried to preserve the car in a pool of salt water. That looks like a good, solid car from the pics.
      That's around what I have in this so far plus the tow fee... Yeah, I've seen a bunch of cars advertised and most of them were setup as caged drag cars or rust buckets....lol I can live with this car as is and patch in the future. The floors and trunk are super solid, but it will need lower quarter patches.

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      My car has an emotional attachment too and , i promise when i start my build thread I'll lay it out there . sorry to hear about your brother , i hope you carry his vision thru . not sure if you want it but .. cover the shipping ill give you a decent ls9 clutch set up if you can make use of it . I'm going to end up going to a auto 10 speed
      Thanks, I may just take you up on the clutch. I'm looking at my options for motor and trans. I'm trying to see if I can maybe do an LQ4\TR6060 with magnum conversion. Manual is definitely in the plans....

Chris--

Chris
      Sorry for the loss of your brother. A tribute car to him named after his heart throb is a killer way to keep him close.
      Kinda like that country song riding with private Malone.
      May god bless your build and family during this time.
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Sorry for your loss!
      I’m in for updates, I will keep a eye out for parts! Do you have any thing in mind that you would be looking for?
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

What a great way to keep the memory fresh, good luck with the build! I have a TR6060 complete that's pretty close to you if you're interested.

Made a little purchase to kick the project off right.... Should be getting started soon...

Also looking hear what people have used for mounts in LS swap. I was thinking Holley, but want to save a cpl bucks where I can. I decided I'm gonna got TKX so there's no saving on that...lol

Name:  Photo_Jun_10_12_41_20_PM_50.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  610.2 KB

Chris--

Sorry for your loss. Nice looking car! It's going to be a nice project.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Your bro's gonna be there right along with you man. I've gone both ways on an LS swap, generic and Holley. It's a little bit more for the Holley but it was well worth it. The Holley was hassle free and fit perfectly the first time. The generics gave me fits and the driveline angles were all messed up. I would have saved at least a month of frustration if I had gone with the Holley setup in the first place. The only issue will be the crossmember. For some reason they cover every tranny but the Tremec. Not the end of the world, just had to play with the height of the stock crossmember until the angles were where I needed them to be. A couple of spacers and it was all good. Best of luck, it's a great starting point.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Sorry for your loss. Nice looking car! It's going to be a nice project.
      I surely hope so. Just want to make it something we would have built together if he were still here.

Quote Originally Posted by CapSS92 View Post
      Your bro's gonna be there right along with you man. I've gone both ways on an LS swap, generic and Holley. It's a little bit more for the Holley but it was well worth it. The Holley was hassle free and fit perfectly the first time. The generics gave me fits and the driveline angles were all messed up. I would have saved at least a month of frustration if I had gone with the Holley setup in the first place. The only issue will be the crossmember. For some reason they cover every tranny but the Tremec. Not the end of the world, just had to play with the height of the mount until the angles were where I needed them to be. A couple of spacers and it was all good. Best of luck, it's a great starting point.

Alex
      Yeah, I feel him watching over this whole project.

Thanks for the insight...I'm definitely going to use the Holley mounts and crossmember in my setup to save some time and frustration. I was hoping I'd be able to save some money on headers, but I haven't heard any suggestions that are cheaper than Holley and fit...lol

Chris--

Take a look at the Speed Engineering headers. I was looking at their revised headers and they look very similar to Holley's design. I was going to give them a try, but I'm pretty happy with the shorty's that I have now.

My bad, I meant to say had to use the stock crossmember. Their crossmember will not work at all with the Tremec. Had a nice $300 paperweight for a while. Not sure why they didn't include it in their design but I get it. It's about what sells. As for the headers I used their cast iron headers. I would have liked the medium or long tube but I would have had to have sold my youngest child to afford those lol. So coated cast iron it is. I'm happy with them. Zero clearance issues. And everything was bolt on.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by CapSS92 View Post
      My bad, I meant to say had to use the stock crossmember. Their crossmember will not work at all with the Tremec. Had a nice $300 paperweight for a while. Not sure why they didn't include it in their design but I get it. It's about what sells. As for the headers I used their cast iron headers. I would have liked the medium or long tube but I would have had to have sold my youngest child to afford those lol. So coated cast iron it is. I'm happy with them. Zero clearance issues. And everything was bolt on.

Alex
      I pulled the trigger on the Holley Mounts and crossmember. They do have one that the list for T56/Magnum. I think I will run into a different problem though. I found a good deal on a T6060 so I might pull the trigger. Totally different mounting situation and more questions than answers...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Take a look at the Speed Engineering headers. I was looking at their revised headers and they look very similar to Holley's design. I was going to give them a try, but I'm pretty happy with the shorty's that I have now.
      I wouldn't even know which ones are the revised version. I see a lot of guys on the LSX Nova group say to stay away unless I want to beat the #3 tube. I guess I need to see which are the old and revised version.

Chris--

Looks like a great canvas....in for the build...

T,

Quote Originally Posted by TomMLS1 View Post
      Looks like a great canvas....in for the build...

T,
      Thanks.. I'll start tearing in this weekend to see what I'm really in store for.... lol

Chris--

In the meantime, I got new additions to the parts pile. Holley mounts, crossmember and Pypes exhaust. I'm still waiting on the Holley Mids. I also got my Rick's Restomod tank.

Name:  Photo Jun 30, 1 44 11 PM.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  396.2 KB

Name:  Photo Jul 06, 3 56 29 PM.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  392.0 KB

Chris--

Chris, this car is going to be amazing with all those parts. Can't wait to see you digging into the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com