Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

'65 GS sitting over 20 years. Spindle/brake questions. Thanks!

Hi All,

New to the site. I have a '65 GS. Rebuilt the front suspension over 20 years ago. The 2" dropped spindles I bought back then pushed the wheels too far out. Also added 2" dropped springs which made the car way too low to drive. It's time to correct all of that and get it back on the road. I picked up a pair of QA1 front upper and lower control arms. Whether I go with coil overs will depend on how much my spindle/brake set-up costs.

What are some solid cheap options? This will be a street car that will be driven aggressively from time-to-time. Any chance I can get a solid front spindle/brake set-up for around or under $1,200...or a front/rear set-up for around $1,500?

Questions are....

Do I go with a moderately priced/complete four-wheel disc kit from The Right Stuff or other online dealers?
      Do I leave the rear drum and focus on a better front spindle/brake set-up?
      Is there an aftermarket spindle that will work with newer parts from the Pick-n-Pull (rotors, calipers, booster) that won't push the wheels out?
      Stock spindles or are there better/newer options?
      Manual (no booster) disc brakes will help keep cost down but will it make the car hard to stop? The car has never had a booster so I'm already used to mashing the pedal.

My apologies if these seem like basic questions. Like I wrote above...been out of the game for over 20 years. A lot has changed. Appreciate the input. Happy to answer questions. Thanks!

Don't jump in all at once. Haha.

Was really hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Oh well.

Country Flag: United States
      As you know, there are dozens of options. It all depends on your preferences and intended use for the car.

For general street use, it's hard to beat the serviceability, value, and durability of a stock type power disc/drum system. That's what I'm running on my Skylark and I have no regrets. Power brake boosters start at less than $100 and are worth every penny (assuming your engine doesn't have a huge cam and produces sufficient vacuum).

Most people don't like the "Seville" rear calipers that come with a lot of the cheap rear disc kits.

If you're after the big brake look and have the wheel clearance, Kore3 has some good options - http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10103-01
      - Ryan

Country Flag: United States
      Those Right Stuff rear calipers are complete gahbage imho. Get with Tobin at Kore3 for some decent affordable brakes.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com