Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How To Wire DCC Controller with Trinary switch

Hey guys I’m so horrible at wiring! Just got my DCC fan controller and I really don’t get the instructions.

1. Am I supposed to wire the fan controller directly to battery positive or negative? Or can I use starter solenoid or alternator as battery positive and core support as negative?

2. How do I wire the Restomod Air Trinary to the controller? A diagram would be super helpful!

3. According to Restomod Air diagram, white wire from compressor relay goes to Trinary switch. Do I have to run this white wire from interior to exterior via grommet? Or can I use one of the inputs of the AAW wire harness?

4. According to Restomod Air the red/white wire (08) and red wire (32) gets +20vdc. Is this correct? Or a misprint? Where will I get +20v from?

Here is a link to the DCC instructions:
      http://www.dccontrol.com/FK95.pdf

Here is the Restomod Air diagram:
      Name:  B09BAB6E-95A9-42ED-88F8-2CC3878FDBBA.jpeg
Views: 353
Size:  270.7 KB

Here is the trinary diagram:
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Hi Joe. I embedded answers below. Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Hey guys I’m so horrible at wiring! Just got my DCC fan controller and I really don’t get the instructions.

1. Am I supposed to wire the fan controller directly to battery positive or negative? Or can I use starter solenoid or alternator as battery positive and core support as negative?

I take the positive right to the battery (or the firewall bulkhead if trunk mounted battery) and the ground to the engine block.

2. How do I wire the Restomod Air Trinary to the controller? A diagram would be super helpful!

One of the blue wires of the trinary switch to 12 volts, the other blue wire to the blue DCC AC input wire. The trinary switch black wires are connected as shown in the Restomod wiring diagram.

3. According to Restomod Air diagram, white wire from compressor relay goes to Trinary switch. Do I have to run this white wire from interior to exterior via grommet? Or can I use one of the inputs of the AAW wire harness?

Personally I run it through a grommet. I’m a simple man and like to keep things simple. Plus I have a bad memory and won’t remember what I did if I do something fancy and I have to troubleshoot later.

4. According to Restomod Air the red/white wire (08) and red wire (32) gets +20vdc. Is this correct? Or a misprint? Where will I get +20v from?

That has to be an error. It should be 12 volts.

Here is a link to the DCC instructions:
      http://www.dccontrol.com/FK95.pdf

Here is the Restomod Air diagram:
      Name:  B09BAB6E-95A9-42ED-88F8-2CC3878FDBBA.jpeg
Views: 353
Size:  270.7 KB

Here is the trinary diagram:
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks Don!

I’m not going to have a firewall bulkhead for a cleaner look. Can I run the power wire to the alternator? The DCC website has some filter if running power to alternator/starter is that needed? If I had a bulkhead connector essentially that’s same as running directly to starter or alternator. Everything is interconnected anyway right?

The DCC ac trigger has 2 wires a blue and green, blue I run to trinary as you said and green isn’t used? What’s it for then?

Lastly, the wires coming from the trinary are super thin, the wire from the compressor is much thicker, will that thin trinary wire be enough?

Country Flag: United States
      Hi Joe. Answers below.
      Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Thanks Don!

I’m not going to have a firewall bulkhead for a cleaner look. Can I run the power wire to the alternator? The DCC website has some filter if running power to alternator/starter is that needed? If I had a bulkhead connector essentially that’s same as running directly to starter or alternator. Everything is interconnected anyway right?

I would not connect it to the alternator or starter without the added DCC filter. Alternator outputs can be quite dirty with spikes and noise. Starters can generate large spikes.

The DCC ac trigger has 2 wires a blue and green, blue I run to trinary as you said and green isn’t used? What’s it for then?

Not sure what the green is for, perhaps a ground trigger. If it’s not called out in the instructions, don’t worry about it. Or maybe send an email to Brian since he seems to respond to you... :>)

Lastly, the wires coming from the trinary are super thin, the wire from the compressor is much thicker, will that thin trinary wire be enough?

Should be fine.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com