Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T56 magnum upgrades for big HP

I'm building a Chevelle and El Camino right now and both will have T56 Magnums, which I already have and both are new. I am building two 540 BBC, one naturally aspirated, and one Procharged. I'm not to worried about the Tremec going behind the NA motor, as it should be around 750-800 HP. Now the one with the Procharger, I'm looking at up to 1500 on it. I'll probably keep it down around 1100-1200, but I'd like to make it live. Both are built in pro tour style, but I'd like them to be able to the drag strip once in a while. Looking for recommendations for mods to increase longevity of the tremec six speed.

Country Flag: Canada
      id say at 800 you would probably be fine depending on driving style and tires ..the other ,talk to rpm transmissions ?
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

PPG gear set. To keep the H pattern and synchro's, https://www.ppgearbox.com/tremec-t56...gnumxl-tr-6060 or step up several thousand and go with their sequential dog set.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Similar needs to both of my builds. Heat is your enemy so you definitely need to include either an internal or external pump/cooler. The external pumps are far more efficient where you can also change the oil spray locations if you have the room, etc. I have one build internal and one external.

Otherwise the strongest gearset are from the C6 ZR1 2.29 or similar for our T56 magnum trans. These are similar ratio gear sets used in the Hellcat, 6th gen ZL1, Vipers, etc. These gear sets are simply bigger and have more contact area therefore able to handle more torque. The 2.97 gearset has the least of the T56 mag/TR6060 trans albeit still 700 lb ft rated.

The build up should consist of carbon hybrid syncros, bronze fork pads, etc....the typical and further if you look into REM treatment although debatable how much that helps. Further weak points are the cast interlock and bolts as well as the main shift rail bearing. You can source billet steel interlock and bolts as well replacing the main shift rail bearing with a bronze bushing from Liberty's Gear. Texas Drivetrain Performance can build those for you. They did a great job for me.

And you didn't ask but the Tilton ST-246 Cerametallic or organic twin disc clutch and 6000 series TOB is the best combo going IMO and that is not just me saying that. It will easily support both of your builds and have great street manners.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

Thanks for input. I have been looking at the tick front plate to add the sprayer and them plumbing up a recirculation pump. Planning on upgrading synchros and shifter pads. Already have a McLeod dual disc clutch set up good for 1500. Probably won't mess with gears, as I don't plan on drag racing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BretW View Post
      Thanks for input. I have been looking at the tick front plate to add the sprayer and them plumbing up a recirculation pump. Planning on upgrading synchros and shifter pads. Already have a McLeod dual disc clutch set up good for 1500. Probably won't mess with gears, as I don't plan on drag racing it.
      i got G FORCE T56 tranny. on my mustang.good for 1300hp. twin turbo sbf.

It's no so much the HP, but more the Torque you put out. I have a 572 in my Camaro thet dyno'd 756HP and 694TQ. I have a regular T-56 and I have had no issues. The pro-charged build, I would either upgrade or go with a G-Force T-56 as suggested above

'68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com