Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: using oil

Country Flag: United States

using oil

I had this motor built for me. It has used oil since new. I put a different set of rings in it and it still uses oil. BBC 489 cast eagle crank with Keith Black pistons, flattop. Should this piston have buttons, and why can I not find a listing for any buttons?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: Canada
      That's not right!
      The biggest thing in Motocross!
      My 97 Cougar Transcona, https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Dirty-Old-XR7

Do you have a picture of the cylinders? Also, does it use oil so bad that it smokes? We’re the heads rebuilt with new guides and seals?
      A poor intake seal can cause oil consumption as well.
      I had one that would smoke over 2500 rpm. It was the valve guides causing it. On another one, it did t smoke, but used oil. Found it was sucking oil through the PCV system. Installed a baffle in the valve cover and fixed the issue.

should at least have a support rail for the bottom oil ring

Can you take another pic of your piston? It looks like there is a black ring under the second piston ring. Could just be the way I’m looking at your pic. But that might be the support ring for the oil ring pack.

using oil

Dummy me! I do not remember if I took the old rings off the pistons or my grandson. Anyway, the Keith Black pistons come with a spacer ring. I bought "rebuilder type rings and put them in. Good thing I am a pack rat as you can not just buy the spacer. Since it had been 20 + years since I rebuilt a motor, who would have thunk??? Thanks for the help!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com