Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Recommendations on fuel system for LS swap in 3rd Gen Nova

Around 2015 I put a 5.3 swap into my 1970 Nova. I (thought) I put together a good affordable solution to convert the car to EFI for the LS swap. My motor requires a return fuel line, so I ran Push-Loc hoses to the rear, added an inline pump/filter and added a bulk fitting for the return so I can use the factory tank.

Fast forward 6+ years I just recently got the car on the road and have put almost 500 break in miles on the project....and I have already started to find some issues I need to address with the fuel system.

Here are my biggest issues:
      1) Fuel gauge doesn't work. (So the fuel tank has to be dropped to fix)
      2) The push-loc hoses are dry rot and have a faint gas odor when you get near them
      3) I can only get about 8 gallons of gas in the tank before it spits back out of the filler neck
      4) After putting in those 8 gallons it usually leaks fuel from the cap when accelerating regardless of what I do (I'm on my 3rd cap)
      5) With such low fuel in the tank, I've already notice engine starvation issues with corners and inclines and I haven't pushed the car hard yet.

Given all these issues, I figured I would remove the lines at the fuel rail.....and replace everything all the way to the back!

My budget is set for what it takes to do this "right". I don't need anything crazy twin Walbro pumps with a -10 feed line.

So what would you recommend?
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

Have you looked into Ricks tanks? The stamped steel ones the 5th Gen modules are a great deal.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Ricks restomod tank(not sure if offered for nova) ZL1 fuel pump, corner pickups and vapor work controller seams to be a great setup. This is what I am putting together for my 67 firebird.

Also, get PTFE (Teflon) lines. Buy once - cry once.

I use the stainless braided type, they last virtually forever compared to the rubber based ones that are typically junk in 5 years or less.

The need for a fuel return complicates things relative to running a fifth gen fuel module. I think you could use the stock pump with the stock internal high pressure regulator but not the 60 psi internal regulator that Ricks installs. Maybe check with Carl at vaporworx to confirm.

I use Holley Vaporguard hose and fittings. Nice OEM look. Not a fan of stainless braided hose.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Anyone have any experience or thoughts with regards to the CPP kit? Seems pretty inclusive.
      https://www.classicperform.com/Compl...-tank-kits.htm

I was planning on going Holley or Tanks Inc (most likely) but this is intriguing if it’s got any quality to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tots View Post
      Anyone have any experience or thoughts with regards to the CPP kit? Seems pretty inclusive.
      https://www.classicperform.com/Compl...-tank-kits.htm

I was planning on going Holley or Tanks Inc (most likely) but this is intriguing if it’s got any quality to it.
      I would not trust that pump or FPR. I would replace the FPR with a Wix at a minimum. I’ll bet that sender is poor quality too.

The fifth gen Camaro pump and a Ricks restomod tank is probably the best bang for the buck imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You either need to put a sump tank in the gas tank or get a hydramat to help pull fuel.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

I'm running a tanks Inc tank in my 64. It's ok but I am having issues with fuel coming out the vent.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Your tank isn’t vented properly, air is not getting out as your are putting fuel in. A IIMUCH vent can fix that regardless of which direction you go.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com