Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

GoodGuys Autocross Exhaust

I have turndowns on my exhaust near my driveshaft (center of car) and GoodGuys rules state "2.14 Exhaust must exit outside of the body, behind the driver and be securely installed. Mufflers are required with no open exhaust or openheaders allowed (98db max/idle @ Del Mar)"I'm assuming that means I need to change my exhaust from downpipes to exit out the side or rear? The event is this weekend and I don't think I'll have time to swap over before then. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this? Thanks!Sorry if this has been asked, I'm at work and the site doesn't load correctly here. Anyway I've called GoodGuys and Emailed but haven't heard back yet.

Normally I'd not respond since I have no experience with this sort of thing (automotive event rules, never had the money to participate before) but since you're on limited time... this is how I interpret the rules here.

If the rule states "must exit outside the body" then yes, you will need to change your exhaust to participate. You'd be able to have them exit right in front of the rear tire, since that would be behind the driver. If you don't have mufflers now, you can probably just cut off the downturns, have your exhaust turned hard over towards the car side, run in a couple of baby turbos and exit in front of the rear pipes. It'll sound quiet and meh, but you'll meet the requirements including the sound level, and be able to participate for just a few bucks. Any muffler shop should be able to install this setup in just a couple of hours, and if you like what you have now you'd be able to put it back like it is in even less time.

On the 98dB level, if you have an Android phone there's an app you can download, Sound Meter, that will tell you how loud you are now. But, 98dB is pretty loud.

After the event, I suggest looking into Chambered Classic mufflers. On cars I want to sound good, I run the longest ones they make in a universal. They're loud but not obnoxious when you get into it hard, and while cruise is nice and quiet, you can still hear the rumble of barely contained power.

"Outside the body" or "outside the body dimensions (IE to the side or rear)" ?
      Tracey

Outside the body is typically read as exiting past the lower body line. Just tell the exhaust guy you need it to exit past the body for a competition, and he should know what to do.

You are fine.
      That is how mine is, tons have the exhaust dumped at the axle.
      I think that rule primarily just means no open headers.
      Pretty much at tech, they look for good battery hold downs, radiator overflow tanks and helmets.

BTW...Your car looks awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      BTW...Your car looks awesome!!
      Thanks Randy!

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I need to be better at checking my posts in here! I heard back from Goodguys and they said I shouldn't have an issue, so I went to the event and passed tech. They did mention that some events are far more strict but they're more concerned with people leaving fluids on the track.

Goodguys was a ton of fun, it was my first time on a track and I hit a lot of cones, and wasn't exactly fast but it was great fun, got to meet a lot of really great people. Everyone was happy to give advise on driving and suspension tuning to help get around quicker and smoother, some of the best fun I've had in a long time!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com