• Falken Azenis RT660 - 255/40/18 & 295/40/18

2 25.00%
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 255/40/18 & 285/40/18

5 62.50%
    • Something else?

1 12.50%
      Country Flag: United States

Falken RT660 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4X

I'm at a crossroads between replacing my old Falken Azenis RT 615Ks with their new RT660 in the sizes I want of 255/40/18 front and their 295/40/18 rear OR running the Michelin 4S in 255/40/18 front and their slightly smaller 285/40/18 rear.

The RT660 is a 200TW and the 4S is 300TW.

The car is 99% street driven... sunny Friday (Firebird Friday) drives to work, local cruise-ins, Cars&Coffee etc. It might see an occasional autox event once or twice a year (Martin Sports Car Club) but not nearly as often as I initially thought I'd do with the car.

Both sets of tires are within $50 of each other out the door, but definitely not cheap... so I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

The PS4S is a great tire. There are however a ton of attributes to consider. Dry / Wet / Cold Grip, noise, wear, sidewall stiffness / ride harshness, weight, cost, size, TW rating, load rating, etc. I have no data to back this up, but I would expect the PS4S to be better in many categories except dry grip and possibly ride harshness. For a primarily street driven car I wouldn't expect many complaints about it. I also think a slightly less sticky tire may throw less stones at your car while driving. But - if you are going to be majorly disappointed by a degradation in dry grip, and the other attributes aren't so important, go with the Falken.

You can also try to find what car(s) came with a PS4S from the factory in the size you are ordering. Factory tires are typically developed for a specific application. This can help indicate how performance minded the development would have been. For example - a Mercedes tire might have been developed with different attribute targets than a GT350.
      Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Rotofab CF Intake
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - basket case

Formerly - many cars I shouldn't have sold.

Given the application, PS4S. No question.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Yeah, i am in the same boat. I wished they made a 315/30-18 in the PS4S. Looks like it is falkens for me.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Continental Extreme Contact Sport in a 295/35-18 is the very street friendly option for an 18x11........they also have a 335/30-18.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I'm tied to 18x8 and 18x10s... I really wish I'd have gotten the RT615K+ before they discontinued them as it would be a no brainer.

Give up the 295/40/18 I have in the back now and go with the 4S in the available 285/40/18?
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Continental Extreme Contact Sport in a 295/35-18 is the very street friendly option for an 18x11........they also have a 335/30-18.
      X2; I'm running these in narrower sizes and they're more than enough for the street. The Pilot Sport 4S is probably still the benchmark in the class, but the Continentals are a little better in the wet from what I've read (I've never driven them back to back), I like the looks better, and they're cheaper.
      - Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      I'm tied to 18x8 and 18x10s... I really wish I'd have gotten the RT615K+ before they discontinued them as it would be a no brainer.

Give up the 295/40/18 I have in the back now and go with the 4S in the available 285/40/18?
      Falken didn't discontinue the 615k+. You can still buy them. Though Falken has had a lot of trouble keeping RT660s and 615K+'s in stock due to covid-19 production delays.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by stab6902 View Post
      X2; I'm running these in narrower sizes and they're more than enough for the street. The Pilot Sport 4S is probably still the benchmark in the class, but the Continentals are a little better in the wet from what I've read (I've never driven them back to back), I like the looks better, and they're cheaper.
      what areyou running these on?regards

Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      what areyou running these on?regards
      1968 Firebird
      - Ryan

Was in the same boat as you.

I just bought the Falken RT660 275/35/18 and 315/30R19 for my 69 Camaro.

The MP4S I can only imagine is a better street tire, but I will have my RT660s on the road in a month or so when the car is out of the shop.

130fe:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 still has a 315/30-18. Discontinued their 335s though.

PSA: The Falken RT660s are wider than the RT615s in the same size!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird

Howdy-

I am in the same boat, ordered some 275/35/18 and 295/35/19 RT660 (was talked into them from the MP 4S) to replace my 10yr old BFG KDWs.
      Any thoughts after having them on your Camaro?

72 Elco-
      I never drive in the rain or wet conditions but want some good traction on the street.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtm87tx View Post
      Was in the same boat as you.

I just bought the Falken RT660 275/35/18 and 315/30R19 for my 69 Camaro.

The MP4S I can only imagine is a better street tire, but I will have my RT660s on the road in a month or so when the car is out of the shop.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com