Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register



    Results 1 to 17 of 17
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282

      Upper control arm clearance for first gen F body

      Currently running SPC adjustable upper control arms on my 67 Camaro. They have a fairly wide "flat" area where the ball joint bolts in.

      I have 17x8 wheels with 4.5 inch backspacing. They currently only have about 1/2 inch of clearance to the rim/ball joint area at full lock.



      My plan is to go to an 18x9 or 9.5 inch wheel with 5.5 or 6 inch backspace. Anybody know what upper control arms give the most wheel clearance in the ball joint area? It appears the Speedtech and ridetech would give me more clearance, but wondering if anyone has real world examples.

      I have Chassisworks tall billet spindles (stock height) which keep the ball joint from being tucked into the wheel lip.
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      I run a similar setup to you but I use a stock spindle with a 0.5" tall balljoint and a mild guldstrand mod. I run a 18x9.5 wheel with a 22mm offset (~6.125" backspacing).

      The chassisworks spindle is very tall - 1.5" tall in fact - and this extreme height is why I did not use their spindle. With my wider wheels, I would not be able to run the chassisworks tall aluminum spindle.

      Do you have any pictures you could post?
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      I run a similar setup to you but I use a stock spindle with a 0.5" tall balljoint and a mild guldstrand mod. I run a 18x9.5 wheel with a 22mm offset (~6.125" backspacing).

      The chassisworks spindle is very tall - 1.5" tall in fact - and this extreme height is why I did not use their spindle. With my wider wheels, I would not be able to run the chassisworks tall aluminum spindle.

      Do you have any pictures you could post?

      Thanks,
      Its tough to get any helpful pictures, its really tight in there to see anything. I was recommended the Chassisworks spindles by SC&C (back when he was around), to match with his bumpsteer correcting tie rod ends, and optimize the camber curve and steering. Plus I really wanted to replace the old original spindles and steering arms with new pieces before I send it down a full road course.
      I ordered a set of ridetech arms, and will install them and get an exact measurement of how much more clearance I can get. I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze a 9 inch rim.

      I will say, since swapping to the tall spindles, bumpsteer correction, and at the same time upped the caster from 4 degrees to about 5.5, the car drives completely different. I can't wait to get some real rubber on it. Currently it has a set of pretty hashed Nitto 555G2.
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rlovell383 View Post
      Thanks,
      Its tough to get any helpful pictures, its really tight in there to see anything. I was recommended the Chassisworks spindles by SC&C (back when he was around), to match with his bumpsteer correcting tie rod ends, and optimize the camber curve and steering. Plus I really wanted to replace the old original spindles and steering arms with new pieces before I send it down a full road course.
      I ordered a set of ridetech arms, and will install them and get an exact measurement of how much more clearance I can get. I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze a 9 inch rim.

      I will say, since swapping to the tall spindles, bumpsteer correction, and at the same time upped the caster from 4 degrees to about 5.5, the car drives completely different. I can't wait to get some real rubber on it. Currently it has a set of pretty hashed Nitto 555G2.
      From the engine bay you should be able to take a picture through the opening in the inner fender. This should show the proximity of the balljoint to the wheel.

      Is the balljoint on the SPC upper arm screw-in or bolt on? The screw-in gives you alot more wheel clearance. Attached is a picture of my tall ball joint, screw-in version, from Howe on a SPC upper control arm.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      From the engine bay you should be able to take a picture through the opening in the inner fender. This should show the proximity of the balljoint to the wheel.

      Is the balljoint on the SPC upper arm screw-in or bolt on? The screw-in gives you alot more wheel clearance. Attached is a picture of my tall ball joint, screw-in version, from Howe on a SPC upper control arm.

      I tried getting a meaningful picture... No real luck. The top of the rim is about even with the ball joint mounting surface, and there is about an inch of clearance with the wheel straight, then reduces to about 1/4 inch (to the forward arm) at full lock. I currently have the bolt in style joints. The ridetech arms should add quite a bit more clearance, mainly as you turn the wheel.

      Worst case scenario I should definitely be able to get an 8.5 inch rim with a 255/40r17 up front. With any luck I'll get the 9 inch rim and the 275. I can get the wheels with slightly more backspace than I need and then use a thin shim to get it perfect. Not exactly sure how much clearance there really needs to be from the wheel to the arm. 1/4"?
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rlovell383 View Post
      I tried getting a meaningful picture... No real luck. The top of the rim is about even with the ball joint mounting surface, and there is about an inch of clearance with the wheel straight, then reduces to about 1/4 inch (to the forward arm) at full lock. I currently have the bolt in style joints. The ridetech arms should add quite a bit more clearance, mainly as you turn the wheel.

      Worst case scenario I should definitely be able to get an 8.5 inch rim with a 255/40r17 up front. With any luck I'll get the 9 inch rim and the 275. I can get the wheels with slightly more backspace than I need and then use a thin shim to get it perfect. Not exactly sure how much clearance there really needs to be from the wheel to the arm. 1/4"?
      I flipped the front link of my SPC upper control arm for more clearance. I have attached pictures showing this. Flipping it required clearancing the upper control arm mounting horn slightly.

      My recommendation is to stay with the SPC upper arm because of its incredible adjustability. You could have SPC send you a screw-in ball joint plate and purchase a Howe screw in ball joint like mine. This should help with clearance also. Price would be less too, probably $200 instead of $600 for new uppers from ridetech.

      Going to an 18" wheel will help you, but getting alot of backspacing with the 1.5" tall chassisworks spindle will be a challenge. Pictures of your setup, however bad they may be, will help us here on the forum help you greatly.
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      This was about the best picture I could get...
      Thats the driver side, with the wheel turned to the right. You can see how close it gets to the front of the upper arm. I did see posts where you can flip the upper SPC and grind the frame where it attaches. I wanted to see if the ride tech would bolt up, without any cutting metal out of a stressed area.
      I already ordered the ridetech upper arms a while back. I got a really good deal on them, much less than MSRP. I've never really been in love with the SPC uppers anyway.
      I also just ordered my rear wheels. 18x9 with 5.5 inch backspace. This should allow me a good test fit up front before I mount my tires, and see exactly how much room I have.


      Name:  IMG_7101.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  235.4 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rlovell383 View Post
      This was about the best picture I could get...
      Thats the driver side, with the wheel turned to the right. You can see how close it gets to the front of the upper arm. I did see posts where you can flip the upper SPC and grind the frame where it attaches. I wanted to see if the ride tech would bolt up, without any cutting metal out of a stressed area.
      I already ordered the ridetech upper arms a while back. I got a really good deal on them, much less than MSRP. I've never really been in love with the SPC uppers anyway.
      I also just ordered my rear wheels. 18x9 with 5.5 inch backspace. This should allow me a good test fit up front before I mount my tires, and see exactly how much room I have.
      My personal opinion is that the ridetech uca's will not give you much more clearance because of the height of your spindle. However, you have them, might as well try them. Shouldn't take long to bolt them on and check. Post pictures and an update once you do if you wish.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      My personal opinion is that the ridetech uca's will not give you much more clearance because of the height of your spindle. However, you have them, might as well try them. Shouldn't take long to bolt them on and check. Post pictures and an update once you do in you wish.

      Thanks... Fingers crossed they will help. I will post a follow up when my wheels come and I find out what's-what.
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      My personal opinion is that the ridetech uca's will not give you much more clearance because of the height of your spindle. However, you have them, might as well try them. Shouldn't take long to bolt them on and check. Post pictures and an update once you do if you wish.

      Just an update... The ridetech uppers worked! Mounted them up and they gave me a good 1/2' more room on the wheel at full lock. Took about a month to get my new wheels but everything clears!

      17x9 with 255/40 in front, 18x9 with 275/40 rear. Could not be happier!

      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rlovell383 View Post
      Just an update... The ridetech uppers worked! Mounted them up and they gave me a good 1/2' more room on the wheel at full lock. Took about a month to get my new wheels but everything clears!

      17x9 with 255/40 in front, 18x9 with 275/40 rear. Could not be happier!
      Nice! Glad you found a solution. Do you have any pictures of the clearance with the RT upper arms?
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      Nice! Glad you found a solution. Do you have any pictures of the clearance with the RT upper arms?

      Here are a couple shots. The first one shows a comparison with the SPC arms. Right where the ridetech arms have more clearance is where I needed it... I have about 1/8th inch clearance at full lock on the arms!!!


      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Posts
      441
      Country Flag: United States
      rlovell383

      Do you have plans for the adjustable arms? I’d be an interested buyer if they’re going up for sale.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Columbia Co. NY
      Posts
      282
      Quote Originally Posted by bretcopsey View Post
      rlovell383

      Do you have plans for the adjustable arms? I’d be an interested buyer if they’re going up for sale.
      I actually have someone interested in buying them, but if he doesn't want them you're next in line!
      67' Camaro- 385 SBC/Autogear M22/Wilwood

      My 57' Truck build:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126935-Caddy-powered-pick-em-up-57-Chevy-truck

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Pittsburgh, Pa
      Posts
      644
      Country Flag: United States
      I was under the impression you could only get the Howe ball joint in the SPC control arms from only one company..

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by pitts64 View Post
      I was under the impression you could only get the Howe ball joint in the SPC control arms from only one company..
      Fortunately, that is no longer the case. You can now buy ball joints directly from Howe.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      East Tennessee
      Posts
      145
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rlovell383 View Post
      Here are a couple shots. The first one shows a comparison with the SPC arms. Right where the ridetech arms have more clearance is where I needed it... I have about 1/8th inch clearance at full lock on the arms!!!
      I see now why there is more clearance with the RT arms....cantilevered ball joint plate.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black