Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

71 Chevelle Suspension install question/ UMI

Hey fellas! I finally had time to work on the car. I replaced the front upper and lower a arms with UMI (tall ball joints), UMI 2” lowering springs and tie rod adjusters. My question is, when I lower the front down I have crazy negative caster. Well that’s what I think. The top op the wheels point in an outward angle. I know I need to get an alignment but is it good to let the car settle and see what it does? I don’t have any shims in upper a arms and the factory units had two shims on either bolt. I just don’t want to screw it up as I won’t be getting an alignment for a bit. Thanks in advance! I’ll try and get pictures in a bit as well if anyone needs them.

What you described sounds like positive camber which is not desirable for drivability and tire life. UMI should have included recommendations for new alignment specs (don’t use the OEM specs). There are a lot of good videos on how to DIY an alignment without special tools. These methods will get you close enough to drive until you can get a professional alignment. But it does sound like you’re going to need some shims.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwex View Post
      The top op the wheels point in an outward angle.
      I don't understand this. Point in at outward angle?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I figured it was an alignment issue. I just didn’t know if I should let it settle. And by outward angle I mean instead of being straight the tire leans outward. I’ll throw some shims in there after I watch a few videos. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwex View Post
      I figured it was an alignment issue. I just didn’t know if I should let it settle. And by outward angle I mean instead of being straight the tire leans outward. I’ll throw some shims in there after I watch a few videos. I appreciate it!
      Keep in mind that I think the UMI uppers have offset cross shafts which can alter the initial camber. The wheels pointing out is positive camber, you don't want that.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Are you upper arms adjustable or non-adjustable? Part numbers?

Also, you can send pics and questions to [email protected] or give us a call on the support line 814-343-6315.

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

^^,wonder ifnhes using stock uppersmwith those tall bj?

72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com