Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by lsx70 View Post
      If you don’t mind me asking, why the change in tire height? Are you running inner fenders?
      To be honest, I am not sure that the 275/40s will fit. Yes, I am running stock inner fenders. I feel the 35 series tires are just a little too short for a big car. The 40 series will be about 27" tall in the rear and slightly shorter in the front.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      To be honest, I am not sure that the 275/40s will fit. Yes, I am running stock inner fenders. I feel the 35 series tires are just a little too short for a big car. The 40 series will be about 27" tall in the rear and slightly shorter in the front.

Andrew
      Thanks for the insight! I’m going to run a 285/40-18 in the rear and I’m planning on 275/35-18 in the front. I would agree that the 275/40’s will likely be too tall but it’ll be interesting to see

Well it’s time for some more updates.
      I got the car started last weekend and made some tweaks through the week so it will idle on its own. I’m going to get it up on the hoist this weekend and fix a couple leaks before I run it for too long.

in the meantime I’ve been trying to figure out my wheel choice. I’m stuck between two ideas of what I want the car to be. Here’s what I’m looking at:
      Name:  6E257AB3-C783-40AD-8A87-26A22D0611EA.jpeg
Views: 967
Size:  305.8 KBName:  A59B6EAF-B473-4A81-A063-95CDAFFAA1F6.jpeg
Views: 1000
Size:  223.2 KBName:  D4E62087-6847-4A9D-9299-CB4756458965.jpeg
Views: 996
Size:  513.4 KB
      if I go with the rocket attacks I’d like to run the flat cap but I’m not sure it’ll clear.

any thoughts?

The flat cap will fit in the rear. It might fit in the front, but that depends on what hubs you have.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The flat cap will fit in the rear. It might fit in the front, but that depends on what hubs you have.

Andrew
      Andrew,
      I believe it’s a factory gm style hub. Is there anything I can measure to check fitment?

Quote Originally Posted by lsx70 View Post
      Andrew,
      I believe it’s a factory gm style hub. Is there anything I can measure to check fitment?
      You can measure from the wheel mounting surface to the top of the hub dust cap.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

You can measure from the wheel mounting surface to the top of the hub dust cap.
      Awesome, any idea what the measurement needs to be for the flat cap to fit?

I'm going to suggest checking wheel weights, then go with the lightest, making sure that the wheel load rating is higher than what any one corner will carry when loaded to the car's max weight. Some of those wheels can top the scale at 50lbs without tires, and looking thin and spindly has nothing to do with it. Keep in mind that the heavier the wheel, the harder it is for the engine to spin it up to speed, the harder it is to maintain that speed, and the harder it is to slow that wheel back down. A heavier wheel is bad for acceleration, top speed, braking distance and fuel economy. Not to mention, it'll be harder on the suspension when you want to go through the twisties.

Those US mags will look great on your ride, nice build ��

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      I'm going to suggest checking wheel weights, then go with the lightest, making sure that the wheel load rating is higher than what any one corner will carry when loaded to the car's max weight. Some of those wheels can top the scale at 50lbs without tires, and looking thin and spindly has nothing to do with it. Keep in mind that the heavier the wheel, the harder it is for the engine to spin it up to speed, the harder it is to maintain that speed, and the harder it is to slow that wheel back down. A heavier wheel is bad for acceleration, top speed, braking distance and fuel economy. Not to mention, it'll be harder on the suspension when you want to go through the twisties.
      It’s hard to find data on those wheels, I’d imagine the rocket attacks are the lightest but honestly I’m not super worried about a few pounds. This isn’t a car I’m trying to get every tenth of a second out of. It’s mainly just a street car that may see the odd track time just for fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jk918 View Post
      Those US mags will look great on your ride, nice build ��
      Thank you! I’m in love with those us mags, but it doesn’t seem like they’re in the cards. They’re telling me it could be 3-6 months before they would be made and they’re already a bit over my budget.

Well it seems rocket doesn’t have anything in an 18x10 in stock and no estimated date. The us mags are 10-24 weeks out. I’m looking for other options. I’m considering getting a cheap set of wheels for the summer and getting something I really like around Black Friday when there’s sales. I’m also looking at some weld rts s77’s to see if they have an estimated date or any stock. Does anyone know where I might get the best price on welds? Any sponsers a dealer for them?

I just went through you post from the beginning, Man this was very interesting! I love your project and how you dressed the motor as a big block. You've done a lot of great work. I'll be watching for your updates. Subscribed !

Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      I just went through you post from the beginning, Man this was very interesting! I love your project and how you dressed the motor as a big block. You've done a lot of great work. I'll be watching for your updates. Subscribed !
      Thanks Motown! I’ve been keeping an eye on your camaro too. Very nice build. I’m interested to see how much clearance you have on the outside of the tire. I’m at a similar point of picking wheels and I’m trying to see what I can get away with.

Another update from the weekend,
      I started out getting the driveshaft in, it fit great. It’s a chromolly piece from bears performance, they do great work. Next up was fixing a pesky power steering leak, turns out I had a banjo bolt that wasn’t quite tight so that turned out to be an easy fix. Then I got started mocking up the exhaust, it’s coming nicely. I’ll have some pictures soon. I still have to sort out my o2 sensor issue (sensors aren’t reading) I think it’s a wiring problem but I’m going to investigate more tonight. Assuming I get that sorted out I’d like to run the car for a bit tonight and get a nice log to look over and see how things are looking. I may even get an idle clip to post here. I’m still looking at wheels, I’d like to get something for the summer which seems like it could be a problem. I’ve been looking at the weld s77 lately, does anyone know of a good weld dealer? What I may end up doing is getting a cheaper set of wheels for the summer and ordering something over the winter for next summer but I’ll see what’s around first

Well it’s been a while since I updated this, lots has changed. I did end up getting the car started around when I expected to. But unfortunately I ran into some problems. On the first startup the car was backfiring something awful, I went through all kinds of trial and error to finally find out the coil harness on the drivers side was flipped…. What a pain that was lol. With the harness the right direction the car started and idled enough to see there was oil pressure and no leaks in the cooling system. It also revealed a power steering leak. Turns out the power steering reservoir was seeping through the seam where it was bonded together, I pulled it off and ran a thin line of panel bond around the seam and that sealed it up. Now back to the main issue, there was a valve train noise in the engine. First thing I checked was the lifter preload, it was at .060” which is within the spec of 0.050-0.100. While I was checking that I noticed the rocker arms weren’t getting oil. After talking to some guys at the local machine shop I decided to try a longer set of pushrods in hopes of quoting down the noise and getting the rockers some oil. No dice. I finally bit the bullet and pulled the heads, the theory was that the lifters weren’t enough for the higher lift cam. I ended up putting in a set of Johnson 2110r lifters which are a short travel lifter. While I was upgrading the lifters I also put in a set of arp head bolts and another set of ls9 head gaskets. To get the correct preload for the Johnson lifters (0.035 +/- 0.010) I ended up using different length pushrods on the intake and exhaust.

When I got everything back together and was finally ready to start the car it was a nerve racking experience, with that amount of money invested to try and fix a problem that I wasn’t sure I could fix. On the first startup there was a little noise initially but after a few seconds of running the noise gradually disappeared!

With the valve train noise fixed I was back on track. I ended up ordering a set of torq thrusts for the summer, they’ll likely end up on my 56 bel air project down the road. The base tune was seeming close enough for an easy drive around the block. First drives are alway nerve racking but everything went fairly smooth, we made it around the block no problem.

After some tuning changes and some slight suspension changes we took the car back out around the block. Again we made it back with no problems but this time I noticed the tire was rubbing a bit on the inner fender…

This problem has since been my biggest holdup, after multiple coilover height adjustments, 3 sets of tire sizes test fit I finally clued in that the aftermarket drop spindle may be pushing the wheel out. That was in fact the case. Luckily I had a spare set of factory disc brake spindles so I swapped those over and were all good to go again!

I’ve been driving the car the odd time, mostly just short trips around the block and one longer trip to the gas station. Just cleaning up the tune and getting things set how I want them. The car works awesome! Lots of power and really good drivability. It’ll break the tires free no problem and it seems to be very quick. I’ll be taking it to the drag strip eventually to see what it runs but I also have a dragy to test with in the mean time

I also upgraded my fuel regulator and filter from a corvette style regulator to an aeromotive unit with a Holley filter.

here’s some before and after of the wheel trim and minor stance changes
      Name:  FF004769-4F8B-4D56-A9C7-69232A7BF2B3.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  759.6 KB
      Name:  5D96AD2A-323A-464E-A4F6-051039F97000.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  642.6 KB
      Name:  003E077C-DC0C-42C1-AD3C-DB88BC3333C7.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  762.3 KB
      and a final engine bay picture, which also shows the final product of the rad cover
      Name:  31C01911-6869-48C3-9BF2-50BEFB8588D1.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  386.7 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

That is an excellent looking build, and I think I'd leave those wheels on. They complement the car. What color is the paint? Wild how the stripes go from shiny to super flat like the paint. I really like that effect.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      That is an excellent looking build, and I think I'd leave those wheels on. They complement the car. What color is the paint? Wild how the stripes go from shiny to super flat like the paint. I really like that effect.
      Thank you! I might end up keeping the wheels, they have been growing on me. My other option is these us mags
      Name:  D0BE5AB8-692F-4BDC-AE20-C7FF61687E50.jpeg
Views: 629
Size:  305.8 KB
      the paint is actually dark grey epoxy, I’ve had the car for so long and never decided on a color. It’ll likely end up fathom blue some day but the flat grey with gloss stripes has been on the car for so long I might miss it lol

The car looks great. That motor really pops in there, very nice.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      The car looks great. That motor really pops in there, very nice.
      thank you sir!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com