Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada
      little update from the weekend

I have the car where I want it as far as street tuning, next up is a couple pulls on the dyno. hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get it on the dyno.

The next upgrade I need to do is brakes. The car is a factory disc brake car so it currently has front disc brakes and rear drum. I was going to upgrade the rear to LT1 Camaro rear disc but after making a few street 1/8 mile passes while tuning I think the car might need some better brakes than that. I'm considering going to a c6 corvette setup or an aftermarket baer/willwood setup. Any suggestions on which way to go?

Country Flag: United States
      It you're on a budget, the C6 brakes would be a cheaper and reliable option. I ended up getting the front and rear calipers for my Nova project for $250
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

If that's what you can do on a college budget, I'd like to see what you can do with a bigger budget. Car looks great by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      It you're on a budget, the C6 brakes would be a cheaper and reliable option. I ended up getting the front and rear calipers for my Nova project for $250
      where did you manage to find those? I was looking at some c6 zo6 kits with the 6 piston in the front but I can't seem to find any calipers anywhere. I may decide to settle for the z51 calipers or the base c/c6 calipers and upgrade in the future.. who knows. Car projects are never really done.
      Quote Originally Posted by SPLATT71MC View Post
      If that's what you can do on a college budget, I'd like to see what you can do with a bigger budget. Car looks great by the way.
      thank you sir! I appreciate the kind words! I took a few years gathering parts but I wanted to do it right the first time. Although this is a college budget (just graduated from my first 4 year degree and starting now on 2 more years) I have access to a lot of things that many people don't (paint booth, hoist, shop to work in and all the tools I would need). That definitely makes the job easier.

Lookin' great! Very impressive!
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
      Lookin' great! Very impressive!
      Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by lsx70 View Post
      where did you manage to find those? I was looking at some c6 zo6 kits with the 6 piston in the front but I can't seem to find any calipers anywhere. I may decide to settle for the z51 calipers or the base c/c6 calipers and upgrade in the future.. who knows. Car projects are never really done.
      I know that my car is lighter thank yours, but I'm running the C6 Z51 rotors and C5 calipers (They interchange with C6) and that setup works amazing. I've considered "upgrading", but to be honest I think anything else would be marginal for street driving.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Great build, I love the stance.
      What is your crossmember clearance?

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      I know that my car is lighter thank yours, but I'm running the C6 Z51 rotors and C5 calipers (They interchange with C6) and that setup works amazing. I've considered "upgrading", but to be honest I think anything else would be marginal for street driving.
      I really appreciate the insight, I sent an email to Tobin at kore3 and he agreed that for a mainly street driven car the z06 calipers are overkill. The other kits are also more budget friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
      It’s not much lol, I have the coilovers cranked to max stiffness in the front but I’m sure on certain bumps it would bottom out. I’ll get a picture of the clearance in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by lsx70 View Post

I got them from AES Corvette parts. They always have a set and are usually free shipping. They also have an ebay store. aescorvettparts.com
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
      Name:  305DEE59-7E0D-457C-B95A-A573567943C6.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  479.9 KBName:  C46A4070-9739-4848-B95B-B02988922F5F.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  475.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I got them from AES Corvette parts. They always have a set and are usually free shipping. They also have an ebay store. aescorvettparts.com
      Thank you sir! I’m definitely considering going for the corvette setup, but I also can get a good deal from the local speed shop on a Wilwood kit🤔 decisions decisions

Best budget rear brakes for your car will be the 98-02 Fbody rear brakes. Search up LS1 rear brakes. They only require a small shim between the flange and the backing plate and are a direct bolt on. You get a really nice PBR caliper, 12" rear rotors and an integral parking brake. I'm running the C6 Z51 13.4" front, the LS1 rear brakes, a 1" bore Master Cylinder and an 8" dual diaphragm brake booster. My setup is balanced really well and will slow the car down in a hurry.

Kore3 sells a C6 rear brake assembly that uses basically the same setup if you wanted to go that route too.

Another good place to look for brakes is Flynbye. I bought his aluminum front hubs and they were a really nice pieces. My only complaint was while they came with the upgraded 1/2" wheel studs, they weren't long enough to bolt up to my wheels with the rotor installed. I ended up getting a set of 1/2" wheel studs from ARP and pressed those in.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Your ride looks great! hopefully I can find a chevelle project in my budget soon this year.

Awesome car and you worked hard to being it in on a budget. I'd be proud to have that car.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Car looks great. Great job. I like the wheels you are running more than what you are looking to replace them with. They look great.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Well I haven't been on here much as of late so I should really give you guys an update to how the car is doing. I finished the car in about mid august 2021 and enjoyed it for the rest of the summer, here in NS we usually get salt on the roads starting around the end of October so the car was parked for the winter by early-mid October.
      Name:  IMG_0987.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  696.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_0884.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  312.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_0997.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  329.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_0994.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  660.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_0881.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  351.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_0959.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  282.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0984.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  685.4 KB
      Name:  81AA904E-C4FA-4C7D-A772-33A447D2F513.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  357.1 KB
      some finished pictures of the car
      Name:  IMG_1752.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  315.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_1753.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  310.8 KB
      a friend of mine took these cool rolling shots!

so plans for the Chevelle this year are mainly to drive it and enjoy it! There are a few small details I need to get to including charging the A/C and moving my ECU and radio memory grounds to a dedicated always on ground. The brake upgrade hasn't happened yet, mainly due to the cost, besides the brake kit I will also need to do new wheels at the same time because of the limited tire to quarter lip clearance I currently have. every rear brake kit i've seen so far will move the wheel out about 1/4-1/2 an inch which I just don't have room for with this backspace setup. the plan there is to eventually get a wilwood or baer 6 piston front and 4 piston rear setup with a set of wheels that will work. The other thing preventing me from doing the brake upgrade is another project I have started, I'll get a build thread going here soon and don't worry the Chevelle isn't going anywhere. Next up on the chopping block is a 1956 bel air 2 door post, something I've wanted for a while so it should be fun!

Good thread and nice car. I may have missed it but what tire and wheel sizes did you end up going with? no issues turning at that height?

Quote Originally Posted by 72cutlassS View Post
      Good thread and nice car. I may have missed it but what tire and wheel sizes did you end up going with? no issues turning at that height?
      the fronts are 18x9 with a 255/40/18 (I may be wrong on the aspect ratio but its definitely a 255) and the rears are 18x10 with a 285/40/18. so far no problems with turning but I only have around 1500 miles on the car

The car looks great, the engine bay looks sweet!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com