Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Cool build, I like how you're taking on most of it yourself! I really like how the stock look to your motor and I may have to steal the OBD port in the ashtray idea from you. Keep up the great work!

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by 813Demon340 View Post
      Cool build, I like how you're taking on most of it yourself! I really like how the stock look to your motor and I may have to steal the OBD port in the ashtray idea from you. Keep up the great work!
      Feel free to steal that idea! I put a lot of time into thinking of places to hide basically everything inside the car to keep the interior looking stock. Basically my hope is that someone who looks at the car may actually believe it's a big block in there, so having everything hidden on the inside will help with that.

I'm lucky enough to have access to a lot of resources that allow me to take a lot of this on by myself an it's certainly not all me, my dad is one of those resources and he always gives me a hand if I run into a snag or I want to bounce an idea off him.

Quote Originally Posted by lsx70 View Post
      There is actually a front plate, but it wouldn’t help much lol. It’s a California black plate since the car is from California. Was your car original paint when you got it? It was your grandparents right?
      I figured the California plate had some history to it. Grandpa bought mine new and painted in like 2 weeks after, apparently he didnt like the shade of it. Its not much different as the inside of the trunk lid wasn't painted.

In regards to the 4l80e gear ratio, I ran 4:10s. No complaints, with a torque converter its going to be perfect. LS engines are pretty pathetic under 3000rpm so the converter helps kill that dead spot.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Some more work on the cowl induction aspect. I had to modify the pedal bracket that the inner door switch mounts to because of my aftermarket pedals. Here is what I started with
      Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.43.06 AM.png
Views: 1647
Size:  354.9 KB
      and the finished product. It doesn't look like a huge difference but things like this take a lot of trial and error to make sure they work correctly.
      Name:  ZCOomrgbSt2KqR+NBlnnkw.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  244.6 KB
      Here is how it would function originally,
      Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.44.16 AM.png
Views: 1612
Size:  1.04 MB
      and how mine functions now. After having the bracket in and out 10 or 15 times I got it right, the pedal arm actuates the switch completely open just as the pedal travel bottoms out. So essentially the switch is activated at full throttle.

Name:  JNc2vjDaSOeT%OL8gdje0Q.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  769.1 KB

For the next part of the cowl induction, I had to figure out was how the air cleaner was going to fit with the hood. I was worried I would have issues with the air cleaner not being centered in the cowl area of the hood. With a few slow closes of the hood checking for clearance, things were looking pretty good. I did end up trimming the original spacer to clear height wise, but the air cleaner lined up perfectly.
      Name:  ohc4JLwxSpqiBP6IPu6Imw.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  267.4 KB
      I trimmed about half of the spacer
      Name:  pCePtH%%QAihr4Xp+lepCw.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  302.5 KB
      After some finishing work this is how it sits. I used a cutting wheel and took my time to keep the cut as flat as possible, then I finished it with a sanding disc and a file.

With the air cleaner fitting nicely now I went back to finish up the fresh air side of the PCV. Since my catch can is on the passenger side, I ran the passenger side valve cover as the dirty side to minimize the amount of hose in the engine bay. The clean air side hose is basically invisible because of the way it's run. The clean air side starts at the driver side valve cover in the rear (that is where the ports are on these adapters), it then runs across the back of the engine and into the coil area of the passenger side valve cover.
      Name:  95awGpmDTamf+nhkgwLcfA.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  465.1 KB
      The hose then runs into an elbow that goes through the valve cover and then to the original port on the air cleaner. This gives the look that the PCV system is run the same way as a factory big block but in reality it isn't.
      Name:  E4mJpNxSQWqCGxBwkgyYTg.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  372.5 KB
      Also visible in this picture is the transmission dipstick. I used a Lokar firewall mount, it hides pretty well behind the air cleaner.

Here is a better look at how the rad cover came out, I'll probably pull it back off and epoxy primer it and repaint just to cover some of the finishing scratches that aren't really visible in the picture. I also need to paint some of the bolts (and clamps on other things). The rad cover is basically two original style covers meshed together to accommodate the additional width of the electric fans.
      Name:  fullsizeoutput_21.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  387.6 KB

I sent my headers to get Vbands welded on (TIG is something I need to learn) and I'm waiting on my driveshaft to show up, other than those couple things I'm ready to try and start the car for the first time. I have a tune loaded into the ECM that should get the car to start at least. The headers are also preventing me from putting the inner fenders back in and fabbing up a new exhaust system (I had a flowmaster kit for the car but it won't fit in the current configuration, so I'll use pieces of it to make the new system).

Name:  2UFqnu9hQLuRv985two6ug.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  360.4 KB
      Here's an idea of how the engine will look, there's still a couple things I need to add from when this picture was taken but this is close.

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle View Post
      I figured the California plate had some history to it. Grandpa bought mine new and painted in like 2 weeks after, apparently he didnt like the shade of it. Its not much different as the inside of the trunk lid wasn't painted.

In regards to the 4l80e gear ratio, I ran 4:10s. No complaints, with a torque converter its going to be perfect. LS engines are pretty pathetic under 3000rpm so the converter helps kill that dead spot.
      That's almost close enough to call it original lol, I think that really adds to the car and I love the story behind it. My grandfather is into cars too but he always liked fordslol, if only he had bought a chevelle when new I'd be all over it!

I'm happy with the choice of torque converter, the cam is supposed to start working at 3000rpm so I should be just into the power band with the 3500 stall

Nice job on the cowl induction and giving it an overall original look and feel under the hood.

Given your intake setup, I am surprised that you didn't go with a Holley Terminator X, or other Holley EFI system.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Nice job on the cowl induction and giving it an overall original look and feel under the hood.

Given your intake setup, I am surprised that you didn't go with a Holley Terminator X, or other Holley EFI system.

Andrew
      Looking back it probably would've been easier for me to use a Terminator system, but when I originally started I was planning on keeping things stock so I bought hptuners. the decision to buy hptuners was something I thought about quite a bit an I decided that since I was planning to LS swap the chevelle, my 56 bel air and possibly my c10 along with my dad's c10 and possibly others that I would be better off learning how to make my own wiring harnesses and tune myself. I really like the holley system and if this was going to be a one off for me I would've certainly gone that way. With trying to stay budget conscious I decided this was the best way to go. I may still decide to try the holley system on my bel air project because I'd like to run a dual quad throttle body set up (similar to your cougar) and that would certainly be easier with holley.

That's almost close enough to call it original lol, I think that really adds to the car and I love the story behind it. My grandfather is into cars too but he always liked fordslol, if only he had bought a chevelle when new I'd be all over it!

I'm happy with the choice of torque converter, the cam is supposed to start working at 3000rpm so I should be just into the power band with the 3500 stall
      It was definitely a blessing!

Side note, do you happen to have the part numbers or application for the upper rad hoses you used?
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Quote Originally Posted by protour_chevelle View Post
      It was definitely a blessing!

Side note, do you happen to have the part numbers or application for the upper rad hoses you used?
      The hose is a mashup of 2 or 3 others, it's part 2014 camaro and part tri five chevy. The camaro was an LS3 car and the tri five was a 6 cylinder. Then I used some pipe to connect them. I may be missing something, for some reason I think I used some of the original chevelle hose. It was all stuff I had so I made it work.

No worries on the hose or the trans. If the overdrive is where you want it with the 4.10s, it should be fine as-is. On the truck I did I was running 3.42s, and with a 4L80E's 2.5 1st gear it was a real slug on takeoff but I wanted the rear/OD ratios where they were. X2 on the original look, it would take a real nitpicker to tell the difference, especially when you look at the exhaust and see that it's got the same pattern that a big block does (no siamesed exhaust.) You've done some really good work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      No worries on the hose or the trans. If the overdrive is where you want it with the 4.10s, it should be fine as-is. On the truck I did I was running 3.42s, and with a 4L80E's 2.5 1st gear it was a real slug on takeoff but I wanted the rear/OD ratios where they were. X2 on the original look, it would take a real nitpicker to tell the difference, especially when you look at the exhaust and see that it's got the same pattern that a big block does (no siamesed exhaust.) You've done some really good work there.
      Thank you! I can definitely see it being a slug with 3.42's.. I know my chevelle is two completely different cars with each of the rearends I've had in it (3.08's and 4.10's)

Not a lot of progress yesterday, things are starting to slow down as I get closer to firing the car, mostly waiting for parts at this point.
      Started the day out trying to fix a pesky problem with the ash tray. Since this is an aftermarket dash it doesn't fit perfectly everywhere.
      Name:  6v2Iy7FdRJSig4YzQK%xpQ.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  331.2 KB
      Name:  CnLDf4FzR66Q8JmEBHuikA.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  283.1 KB
      This is how the ash tray fit before any modification, the back was sucked up into the dash and the front wasn't up tight enough for my liking
      Name:  yRyJc4oPTzuTKOBhrkEd5Q.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  289.5 KB
      Name:  vBKHM6WsQsmBuS205oUWWg.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  272.8 KB
      some modification to the mounting tabs
      Name:  jalOjv+9THO2WBaAkFUlaw.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  227.4 KB
      Name:  syAN2JSRSLOuxKOArap8RA.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  478.2 KB
      much happier with this fitment.
      Name:  IrstZWnbThKXz%wygOaqFw.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  315.3 KB
      I also notched the side of the ashtray to give some more clearance for the OBD2 connector and data link connector for HPtuners
      Name:  wKasU1BvRi+bQCaSJvrPCg.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  527.4 KB
      A new delivery showed up, this wheel fitment tool isn't only for this build, it was more of a family purchase but I'll be using it to measure this car.
      Name:  q8ehbVg2RCuUY0DN6MJJAg.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  392.7 KB
      I spent some time blacking out all the clamps (including the ones on the coolant crossover) I also added the air cleaner and valve cover stickers to further the look.
      Name:  GmEmzkOWQUO2FzUlluVrPw.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  398.5 KB
      I'm debating what to run in the passenger side valve cover. This picture has a PCV valve with some hose (run to nothing because it won't be functional) similar to what would've been on the car in a factory big block application (although not exact). My other option is to just run a chrome breather in that side. Any thoughts?

Well not much progress today. If anything the car went backwards. I managed to snap a bolt off in the rear end housing and it caused a world of headaches.
      Name:  tK8BS%o2S0OoRJz9RP9gzg.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  436.3 KB
      after 5 attempts it finally came out. Thankfully it did come out, I was just about ready to pull the rearend to drill it out.
      Name:  BF0gQGtJSfeb8Y42Y0rsGA.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  611.6 KB
      I'll have to pick up a new cover gasket on Monday and slap the cover back on.

After that disaster we rolled the car off the hoist and into the next bay. I snapped a couple pictures of it out in the sun. Wow is it ever dirty!
      Name:  31%4abBRS+ipXF70qEtfmQ.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  887.2 KB
      Name:  J+%eCaHETUOM7hUElTkqiw.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  816.3 KB
      I've been doing a lot of looking and thinking about wheels for the car. They'll be 18's but I haven't decided on a style yet. I'll post more about this in the future but if you guys have any suggestions let me know.

I ended the day helping dad out with his 57. We just recently swapped the rear end and decided to put some caltracs on, which just got buttoned up today.
      Name:  z6eV6JRRTveMJU3NnN3ZqA.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  439.9 KB
      Plans for tomorrow include putting in the passenger side inner fender (the drivers side will go in after the headers are back) and finishing up the A/C wiring. I'll also likely measure the car for wheel fitment. I'll be running 285/40/18 on the rear and I'd like to run 275/35/18 on the front but I already have the 285 so i might try it on the front just for fun. I'm guessing it'll be too tall.

Well some good news from today. I got my headers back from the welder with the vbands on! Hopefully I’ll be able to start the car this weekend!Name:  6E9A7B87-3EA2-4DAC-B9FE-30016DE2DEDD.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  328.1 KBName:  036C4C24-A75F-47CF-86E7-D8905267E428.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  456.2 KBName:  F49BCD93-A93E-410E-AE4B-2123DFC84325.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  468.1 KB

On another topic I ran into some issues when test fitting my wheels. The wheel fitment tool contacts the tie rod. I was testing with an 18x10 which I believe should fit. I’m going to test fit an 18x9.5 wheel that I have to see if the wheel tapers enough to clear. I was hoping someone here might be running a similar wheel on the front of an A body and might have some insight
      Name:  CF325257-F79C-4A17-AAC8-9C84CEA49381.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  369.0 KBName:  0206F831-F6D2-4C5C-8C3F-85BD567AB035.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  424.8 KB

18x10s will fit ... hell even 11s . Theres guys running 315 on the front if you make some minor mods to the inner fenders
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

18x10 will fit with the correct backspacing. What is your fitment tool set on, 6" should be about right on that width. Also I would be jacking the control arm up into the fender when to see how the suspension sits with weight on it if you're not doing it.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I run a 9.5x18 with about 6" of back spacing and a 275/35-18 on my 70 GTO.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      18x10s will fit ... hell even 11s . Theres guys running 315 on the front if you make some minor mods to the inner fenders
      Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      18x10 will fit with the correct backspacing. What is your fitment tool set on, 6" should be about right on that width. Also I would be jacking the control arm up into the fender when to see how the suspension sits with weight on it if you're not doing it.
      I run a 9.5x18 with about 6" of back spacing and a 275/35-18 on my 70 GTO.
      Thanks guys. I’ll double check the tool but I believe it was set on 6”, I think it was just the design of the tool that was throwing me off. I’ll definitely be jacking up the control arm but the tire I was using is too tall and wouldn’t fit.

andrew what are you running on the rear? I was planning a 275/35-18 for my front

Thanks guys. I’ll double check the tool but I believe it was set on 6”, I think it was just the design of the tool that was throwing me off. I’ll definitely be jacking up the control arm but the tire I was using is too tall and wouldn’t fit.

andrew what are you running on the rear? I was planning a 275/35-18 for my front
      In the rear I run a 295/35-18. Having said all that, I will probably go with 275/40 and 295/40, front and rear, respectively, next tire change.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

In the rear I run a 295/35-18. Having said all that, I will probably go with 275/40 and 295/40, front and rear, respectively, next tire change.
      If you don’t mind me asking, why the change in tire height? Are you running inner fenders?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com