Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Lightweight battery options

Was planning to run a tried and true AGM battery in the trunk of my heavy beaked 70 Firebird, but now considering a lightweight battery up front. I would think this would result in significant overall weight savings (lighter battery and long heavy cable). Although lightweight batteries are significantly more expensive, the cost is offset somewhat by the wiring and extras needed for trunk mounting. Is there something else I'm not considering? Are there advantages to a trunk mounted battery other than a cleaner engine bay?

Country Flag: United States
      If you can afford a lithium battery in the stock location, that would be a good weight saving right there. Think about how heavy copper battery cable is. It’s a few pounds of added weight just by running cable all the way to the rear of the car as well.

Also, some racing rules require shutoff switch/levers to be installed/accessible if you move the battery to the trunk. That’s another expense and something to think about if you even want to install a shutoff switch that’s accessible from outside of the vehicle.

Country Flag: Canada
      Do not skimp on the lithium batteries. In the drag racing world there has been several fires taking out shops, cars and enclosed trailers. battery maintenance is critical on the light weight batteries.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Check out Braille batteries

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com