Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Speedtech vs RideTech vs ??? front suspension 68 Camaro

Hi everybody!

I am currently building a pro-touring inspired 68 Camaro. I have installed Speedtech torque arm rear torque arm suspension and am now deciding on the front. The plan is to run wider than a 245 front tire (275 would be the goal) to go along with 315 to 325 rears. Truthfully, I doubt this car will ever see an autocross track, but may actually hit a drag strip on rare occasions. The drivetrain is a 5.3 turbo with a 4l80e, Quick Performance fully built 9" with 3:25 gears.

The options on the table at this point are:
      • Option #1. Speedtech Pro Touring subframe - $5500 plus powdercoating, steering column, spindles unless i reuse mine, steering connection set, motor mounts, etc. Probably going to total $8000 or so. This setup was suggested to me by Blake at Speedtech. Pluses include: new rack and pinion steering, allegedly clears 275 front tire with stock inner wheel wells, "bling" factor of a new subframe, should handle very well, mostly complete kit. Downside is it is still expensive, but is not as good as their Extreme subframe, not as good of a r&p than the Extreme. I don't really want to pull the engine, trans, bend new brake lines, just more work in general than bolt ons. ST surprisingly did not recommend the Extreme subframe to me (even tho it will clear a 315 front tire) because it requires their fiberglass inner fenders ($899) that could experience melt down with the turbo, exhaust, etc.
      • Option #2. Speedtech Road Assault with Chicane coilover setup. ~$2500. Pluses: easier to install than a subframe, should handle much better than stock. Negatives: will not clear a 275 tire, i would need to buy a new steering box (~$600+) since mine is the original and due for replacement anyway. Will the Truturn setup work with the Road Assault to clear a 275 tire?
      • Option #3. ridetech front coilover setup and Truturn. Not sure on price of front-only coilover/arm setup, but guessing around $2k, plus the $1100 for the Truturn and spindles. Would still need a new steering box. Again, easier to install than a subframe, better handling than stock, etc. I suppose I would kind of prefer to keep suspension brands the same front-to-back, but not THAT important to me.
      • Option #4. Speedtech Extreme subframe. Simply the best, but most expensive, clears 315 front tire. Guessing full package would set me back around $12k.
      • Option #5. ???? Open to suggestions.

Again, this will not be a track car but want it to have the look. Looking over suspensiongeek's website I found another option That may be the best compromise, but I haven't seen any builds or reviews of the No Limit Sniper subframe: https://749c393e-eabf-4541-8176-f848...camarofirebird

Thanks for any input you guys give

Edit: I should mention, Speedtech recommended to NOT go with Truturn because is spaces the front tires out. (?) I hadn't heard that before. Maybe it was just a sales ploy on their part?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com