Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Looking for feedback from PTFB susupension users

I have an 812 Z28 and am researching suspension packages. Car will be used for street use, autocross and I may eventually track the car but not competitively. I have 18" wheels, thus not much sidewall and car has a small block with aluminum head, aluminum intake and fiberglass hood. Ride quality is important but I understand, and will accept, some reduction in quality for improved handling. If everything is designed and works correctly, the ride should be firm but not harsh (as is the case with my 68 Chevelle using SC&C parts - amazing improvement and great ride).

I'm interested in PTFB products, but some folks have stated the ride is extremely harsh. Some have even described some odd characteristics with the car bouncing uncontrollably after hitting bumps (see this: what shocks with PTFB GT kit?).

Other folks have been very happy and rave about how great the parts are with no mention of harsh characteristics.

I know shocks make a big difference in ride quality and maybe some of the PTFB packaged shocks are just not a good match. Maybe the shocks/valving have changed over the years?

Any actual real world feedback is appreciated!

Country Flag: United States
      Hello, My name is Dave and I own PTFB, the post you linked to is 8 years old and yes the shocks have changed twice since because the adjustable Pro shocks are no longer produced and have not for almost 10 years, for a short period we supplied another brand of adjustable shocks but there were too many warranty problems, we now supply a non adjustable shock.
      The person also mentions nothing about making any adjustments to the shocks, I equipped my personal car with those same shocks and I felt they gave a very good balance of performance and ride, I wish they were still available.

Often times enthusiasts forget to check other things that can cause a rough ride such as Tires, bottoming out hitting the bump stops with lowered suspension, ( don't forget to check the pinion snubber clearance)
      PTFB builds performance suspension kit they will be firm, we understand ride quality is VERY subjective, it is also very hard to quantify the term harsh, F-bodies never were as smooth as an A-body mainly due to the lack of a full frame, many enthusiasts tend to address the chassis as secondary, improving the performance of the suspension ads more load to the chassis but forget that the chassis must be improved to handle those extra loads.

The other point is PTFB has a variety of springs and shocks available to customize our suspension kits.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com