Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone using Coach Controls wiring harness?

Just curious. I know Painless and American Auto Wire are the traditional favorites. Looking at the Coach Controls product, I like the fact that the board already comes with relays installed for things like fuel pump, electric fans, etc. Looks like a potentially cleaner installation, but I'd love to hear from anyone with experience. The price appears to be competitive as well.

Thanks,
      Greg
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

I have heard of them, but never seen anyone actually use them. Have you looked at the AAW Extreme kit? I'm rewiring my car and using that this time around.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

The Coach Controls unit has a lot of nice features built in. The only issue I see is that if you were to have a relay, diode or whatever go bad it would mean taking out the whole unit. Where as on a more traditional fuse panel with external relays, if a relay goes bad you just replace it and go. Maybe you will have no issues with the Coach Controls ever, and I’m not saying it’s not high quality stuff, but this could be a potential issue.

As a side note, when I hired a professional to help wire my Chevelle with an AAW kit, he said he recommends the Coach Controls.

Good info, thanks guys. I agree with you about a relay or diode going bad, although, I THINK you can replace the relays on the board. I need to call and verify with them. You might be hosed on the diode though.

I really wish someone would come out with a solid state PDM (like the RacePack Smart Wire) that was a little more geared towards street car wiring. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see things like blinkers, dome lights, wipers, gauges being complicated with the Smart Wire system.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I have heard of them, but never seen anyone actually use them. Have you looked at the AAW Extreme kit? I'm rewiring my car and using that this time around.

How do you like the AAW Extreme kit. Really what I'm looking for is something with everything contained in one box from the start. I don't want to have to run additional relays, etc. I'm also looking for ease of expandability. I've got a very simple '64 Corvette....drivetrain is pretty much stock at the moment. That being said, if I were to add fuel injection, or go to an LS motor, I want to be able to integrate those electrical components into the system seamlessly without having to redo everything.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

I went with a Painless unit in my wagon and the size and thoroughness of their manual removed any anxiety I had of doing a complete rewire. If you have the right tools it's a piece of cake.

Tracey

Yea, Painless makes a nice product...Ive used it a few times. Im looking for something a littke more generic/customizable with everything included in a single board...including relays
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

It doesn't look like the relays are swapable-

Name:  PwrCntrB_NoCover500_Cable.JPG
Views: 663
Size:  211.9 KB

Have you looked at the ISIS stuff?

https://customimagecorvettes.com/pro...-control-unit/

For something really simple- you could use a couple of these

Solid state- programmable- delay on and off

https://www.rowe-electronics.com/amplink

http://pdm60.com/wp-content/uploads/...anual-2016.pdf

Name:  pdm60.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  19.5 KB

Thanks guys....looks like the AAW Severe Duty kit #510564 might be the way to go as it comes with some additional, configurable outputs besides all the basic stuff, and I can add the Severe Duty Relay Box #510599 as necessary if I ever decide to add fuel injection, LS motor, etc.
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      How do you like the AAW Extreme kit. Really what I'm looking for is something with everything contained in one box from the start. I don't want to have to run additional relays, etc. I'm also looking for ease of expandability. I've got a very simple '64 Corvette....drivetrain is pretty much stock at the moment. That being said, if I were to add fuel injection, or go to an LS motor, I want to be able to integrate those electrical components into the system seamlessly without having to redo everything.
      Quote Originally Posted by FLYNAVY53 View Post
      Thanks guys....looks like the AAW Severe Duty kit #510564 might be the way to go as it comes with some additional, configurable outputs besides all the basic stuff, and I can add the Severe Duty Relay Box #510599 as necessary if I ever decide to add fuel injection, LS motor, etc.

Yeah, I meant Severe Duty. I have not wired mine in yet, car is at the body shop now. I did have their Power Plus 20 kit before I sent it out for paint. I didn't want the hassle of having the extra relays all around for some of the things that the Power Plus didn't have.
      I'm actually looking forward to getting it all setup whenever I get the car back.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com