Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

new member from Michigan

Hello everyone. The wife and I have purchased a 1966 chevelle malibu that will need extensive reconstruction. Our goal is to
      build a car that we can drive accross country if we desire. Our plan is to complete this project in 4-5 years. I will no doubt have
      plenty of questions along the way. Looking forward to talking with you all.

Welcome! where about in Michigan are you? I live in Saginaw and been picking away at a AMC Javelin for the last few years.

I live in Smiths Creek. Just about 10 miles south west of Port Huron. I always thought those Javelins were cool.

I just looked at your build...Very nice.

I have been in the truck scene for awhile but am now getting too old for the beatings I receive when I drive it. I plan on taking the 383 engine from the truck and using it in the Chevelle. Not sure how street friendly it will be but that is a bridge I will cross down the road. My wife (of 34 years) had
      a 1966 chevelle back when we were dating in high school..We sold the car back in the late eighties to help with the down payment on our first house. Ever since I have wanted to replace it for her..

Here are a couple pics of the truck I play with and the car that I saved from the bone yard, it is going to need ALOT of work.

Name:  IMG_1120.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  113.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0820.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  158.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_0873.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  131.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_1394.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  264.9 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Cool story! Look forward to seeing your build progress.

Welcome. If you want a comfortable cross country cruiser for the wife, rather than the 383 I'd recommend looking into an LS engine. The modern LS engines are putting out half the power your 383 does from the factory, and properly set up with a 6 speed auto would likely be almost as fast as your truck while getting 25MPG on the highway under cruise. They also play well with forced induction if you decide there's not enough under the hood.

I just ditched a 2015 Tahoe 2WD with a 5.3L that was getting 18-19MPG in the city, and would pull down 22.5MPG running all highway, and when I added 4.10s to it (although I really should have done 3.73s) it moved out pretty well for such a heavy vehicle. The 4.10s went in almost as soon as I bought it, so the mileage was with the 4.10s. I would, however, avoid the LT based direct inject engines though, as they have a problem with hard carbon baking to the back of the valves which can break loose and damage the internals.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com