Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

sold body mount bushings - orientation

Hi,

I have a 2nd gen Trans Am (79') and purchased the sold body mount bushings as well as subframe connectors (pro-touring). I assume the original suspension is really worn but it sits nicely (not too low but also not oem height). I like the look. What should be the orientation of these body mount bushings if I wan the car to be 1/2" or so lower than oem? I can't seem to find any videos on how to install etc. The instructions provided are not to descriptive and I rather ask than regret the install.

Thanks in advance,

~JV

do the bushings before the SFC's first of all.

Start at the front and work your way back one side at a time is how I did them. It's not too hard but have various jacks and jack stands handy maybe a large prybar too. The PTFB kit has 2 piece bushings so you can lower the body but I used the full stack on all mount points.
      Also interesting comment from Moroso on the radiator support - I haven't had an issue there, but something to watch out for and may be worth adding some type of rubber attachment to the radiator to keep it from vibrating to death.

Here is a decent explanation:
      https://www.moroso.com/pub/media/ins...27_instweb.pdf
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Country Flag: United States
      That's interesting. I used the moroso kit and don't recall seeing that in the instructions. However, I too know plenty of people that have used solids all around including myself with no actual reported radiator issues.

Then again, my front tires never leave the ground either, like they may in a high powered car setup for drags. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the wheelie cars might have experience that, and that's why they put that in there. I think as long as your tires don't leave the ground you're probably ok.Name:  9ea8d36b5bc18d8dd1c29a473c04eadb.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  49.8 KB
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Country Flag: United States
      I used to help here and there at the PTFB shop when it was in Illinois and have had my hands on a bunch of those along with installs on a few Trans Am’s for myself, family and friends. Those mounts are a great choice for the money and I feel is the first $100 upgrade/fix anyone should do to a 67-81 F-Body, whether it’s PTFB or some other supplier for solid body mounts.

One thing to watch for is to make sure your frame is not rusted around the body mount holes. That’s a very common rust area in those cars.

For stock height, place the thick puck between the body and frame. Same for the core support....thick puck between the frame and core support.

For 1/2” body drop, place the thin puck between the body and frame. Same for the core support.

thanks - that's what it was, they sent two sizes. I used the thick one and left it as stock. These cars sit plenty low via the suspension and I didn't want to mess with driveline angles or exhaust clearance, etc.

Good point on tires leaving the ground - mine is a roundy round type car although has run mid 11's on the motor, but the suspension isn't set up for that kind of weight transfer for sure.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com