Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 Camaro TruTurn Center link Hitting Oil Pan

I recently purchased full ridetech suspension w/TruTurn for my 1969 Camaro with a 427 BBC. All of the front suspension has been installed minus the TruTurn. I am having oil pan clearance issues with the TruTurn center link. I only have about 2/3s steering movement when attempting to turn left. The stock center link has no issues and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of clearance and full lock. Has anyone else ran into this issue? This is the new style ridetech center link that does not bolt to the factory center link.

The pictures below show the stock center link and the ridetech truturn center link. I have tried two different drag links in the process of troubleshooting. The only option I have remaining is swap the oil pan. If it comes down to that I will likely return the truturn kit.

Name:  00_20171203_112043.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  12.3 KBName:  01_20171203_111901.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  13.5 KBName:  02_20171203_111430.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  11.6 KBName:  03_20171203_111525.jpg
Views: 2156
Size:  11.4 KB

I have the same problem in my 1969 Camaro with a 427 BBC. I am using a Moroso oil pan. I have the style that it attaches to the stock center drag link. I called Ride Tech for advice, they had none. As much as I hate to, i was going to try the stock pan. This is going to be a real pain.

With the wide variety of engines, engine mounts, frame mounts, and customer modifications that exist with these cars, it is tough to validate fitment for every possible combination. Most people who frequent this site are interested in optimizing handling performance. Part of that equation is typically a SBC or LS based powerplant. BBC power is a more rare choice. That does not mean it wont fit, it just means we have not investigated that combination. The Tru Turn drag link (especially the newer 1 piece forged unit) is very similar in shap and position to the oem unit except near the inner tie rod attachment points. I cannot tell much from the pictures posred above, but it is simple physics and geometry. The drag link CANNOT be moved. Not even 1/8". That would ruin the steering geometry. Therefore the oil pan must be changed, or the engine moved up or back. It looks like some simple clearancing on the oil pan would resolve the problem, but like I said...hard to tell from the pictures.
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Wait a second. So ridetech now has a draglink as part of the Tru-Turn?!? That is awesome and much better than the 2 piece setup in the earlier kits like I have :-(.

Hmm. I do see they have updated pics on their site. The web admin maybe missed the text with the update though :-), "...bolts onto your oem draglink to relocate...". I need to call and see if it is available separately so I can use that one piece unit instead of the bolt together draglink.

OP do you have a picture of the OEM and ridetech draglink from above so that we can see the offset differences?

As Bret said, clearancing the oil pan with something like a big hammer and a heavy tube with nice radius may work if it only hits a bit and you are OK with that crude solution. Otherwise removing the pan and fabbing in a pocket would be a little better. I forget the make/model they are for but there are actually aftermarket pans that already have the pocket built in that *might* would work.

Notch it like this early Nova pan. Probably not to that extreme. I think there was one pan I saw that even had a tube for the centerlink.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...i?N=4294880881
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Country Flag: Canada
      Early Chevy II s have a similar problem when you don't use the Chevy II pan. I clearenced one with a ball peen hammer. Take your time and use a lot of gentle taps, don't go wailing on it.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Just an update for those that may read this later. ridetech does actually sell the new style draglink by itself if anyone else wants to upgrade. Mine arrived this week and I like it a lot better. I'll try and post some pics when I get the old one out and compare it side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC71Nova View Post
      Just an update for those that may read this later. ridetech does actually sell the new style draglink by itself if anyone else wants to upgrade. Mine arrived this week and I like it a lot better. I'll try and post some pics when I get the old one out and compare it side by side.
      excellent

Last night I had a few minutes so I put the OE draglink back on, then the original style TruTurn bolt on piece, and finally the new style TruTurn draglink. Nothing super precise but it looks to me like the original bolt together TruTurn actually provides about 3/8" additional clearance behind the draglink as well as the back of both tire rod ends when compared to the new draglink. For what it's worth, my setup is using new Moog Problem Solver idler and pitman arm. The box is a Lee 670. My OE draglink is the small one and not the HD one.

While the dimensions didn't aid me in dealing with my particular header clearance issue - it's actually worse -, I'll likely use the new 1-piece design anyway. Either way I'll have to mod the headers for it to work so might as well use the nicer looking 1-piece TruTurn draglink I guess. I had really hoped that a draglink would come out that raised the TRE attachment location without moving them back which is what causes most issues. I guess it's a geometry thing in both directions maybe. There is a pro-touring Nova (frojoe) on LS1Tech that built his own draglink that did basically just that.

John

my nova has ridetech and truturn....and I have zero clearance issues. altho I do have a LS motor and 1" setback mounts

same problem here but think i have a fix

Quote Originally Posted by gs_scott View Post
      I recently purchased full ridetech suspension w/TruTurn for my 1969 Camaro with a 427 BBC. All of the front suspension has been installed minus the TruTurn. I am having oil pan clearance issues with the TruTurn center link. I only have about 2/3s steering movement when attempting to turn left. The stock center link has no issues and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of clearance and full lock. Has anyone else ran into this issue? This is the new style ridetech center link that does not bolt to the factory center link.

The pictures below show the stock center link and the ridetech truturn center link. I have tried two different drag links in the process of troubleshooting. The only option I have remaining is swap the oil pan. If it comes down to that I will likely return the truturn kit.

Recently rebuilt ls2 and reinstalled with holley ls swap kit. (467hp 440tq) to the rear wheels.
      Previously used mast pan with tru turn kit and holly ls swap kit and all fit well but decided Milodon road race pan with 7 quart capacity and 1/2" shorter in depth would be a good upgrade.
      Truturn kit had bolt on adapter to drag link but had ordered new style one piece, but when bolted up did not clear unless steering centered and static.
      So decided to reinstall original link with bolt on adapter, which gave more lock to lock clearance but not much, having to weld and gusset the bolt on adapter rod end link ears only to my original drag link and remove center section which is the part that interferes with pan in attempt to clear milodon pan lock to lock. For all dimensional purposes end link location of tru turn remains the same.
      Yes i know taboo of welding that why having fab shop do the welding, shot peen and magnaflux to ensure strong enough.
      Hell back in the trans am aera 67 campaign welded steel on oem small bar to reinforce and it held up on vicious track days so pretty confident it is safe.
      Using road race pan pn 31507, have yet to get back from Krazy Kustoms local fab shop to test, will post once complete.
      Yup you guessed it will post new one piece center link, used for mock up only, for sale soon.
      Name:  31507 milodon pan.png
Views: 1568
Size:  13.1 KBName:  xo ling1.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  19.1 KB

Update pics

Name:  IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  124.4 KBName:  IMG_0543.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  105.5 KBName:  space.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  112.6 KB
      Here you can see the the final fit with fabbed up crossbar, note i used a milodon pan with 7qt kick outs, would have zero issues with any other stock pan width.

Quote Originally Posted by gs_scott View Post

I had the exact same problem with mine. Then I installed the short Z28 steering arms and it moved the center link a considerable amount from the oil pan solving my problem. Not sure which arms you have but it does make a big difference.

I know this thread is a little old. I am just wondering if putting on the longer 67 Camaro idler arm (5.8” vs 5.25” for a 69) would have moved the centerlink forward enough (~ 1/2”) to clear. In the pictures the centerlink looks crooked with the right side farther back compared to the left

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com