Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Replacement panel fitment

Hi guys, I’m replacing the lower cowl on a 1968 Firebird. This is my first time trying to fit in an aftermarket component and I have no experience with auto body work. So, naturally, I have a few questions.

I removed the old cowl and cleaned up the edges on the firewall. I still have to do some patch work but I decided to set the new cowl in place and see how it fits. Overall, its pretty good but there are some large gaps around where it sits on the side cowl (not sure what it’s called, I’ve seen several different names). Because of the compound curve, I didn’t think I’d be able to hammer it into shape. So I was thinking I’d have to cut and add material to bring the rear curve further down. And then where it goes up toward the a-pillar, I should be able pull it or hammer it to fit where needed. Is this typically how something like this would be done? Or is whatever works the right way? What techniques do you guys use to make aftermarket panels fit? Any advice would be appreciated. I’ve included some pictures below. You can kind of see the gaps I’m referring to if you zoom in.

As it sits in the picture, the fender mount surfaces are in approximately the same location as the original.

Name:  9CC3F2DF-AF2A-49B5-9E2D-043E13878903.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  259.4 KB
      Name:  5DC0DCB9-652F-4D58-8FBF-B63D1715FEA5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  278.5 KB
      Name:  E61B8203-749F-45F1-8041-A19898445C14.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  258.7 KB

I know this is work that should be done by a professional, but I’ll never learn if I don’t try. Besides, doing the work yourself is half the fun right? Appreciate the help.

Eric B.

The important part is where the window will sit. That's vital as the glass will give you no room to play. Get that in perfect and tack it. Then the next would be at the front of the firewall. Once those are locked in place you can deal with those side areas. Since they won't be seen you can make some "adjustments". I'd try to drill and use screws to pull the metals together and see if there's give to bring them together and if so tack them.
      Tracey

Country Flag: United States
      Good point about getting the top lined up first. I’ll give that a try and see how it goes. It might still be a while before I weld the cowl in. I want to take advantage of having access to the back of the dash and get that area cleaned up and primed first. Thanks for the help.

Eric B.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com