Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

internal external alternator regulator help

hey all-

68 Pontiac firebird
      T5 Trans

Last year I put a CVF serp belt kit on the firebird. I realized it wasn't charging. I did some other stuff, I bought the kit late the pervious year and didn't actually get to drive the car until late summer / fall. I knew it was something i prob did, but I put the car in storage and knew this year I would need to deal with it. well 2 weeks ago or so, I got it put and it hit me that the new alternator is internal regulated and I still had my external regulator hooked up. I bough this kit: https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-gto/hu30
      installed and viola! I was charging. so the next day I went to start the car and it was dead as a door knob. I charged the battery and unhooked the neg cable and it was fine. I couldn't find an amp draw. I hooked it back up and then a few hrs later i noticed the alternator was warm. I figured I had a bad diode and that was draining the system. So today I go to unhook the alternator and check the diode and take it to a local shop for repairs, and went to unhook the cable, the whole post came out of the alternator. the wire was corroded and fell off from being burnt up. the post was burnt up. is this all from having both regulators? a bad diode? is there another underlaying problem? I also installed a pertronix digital HD and new coil. Put a pertronix kit inplace of the points.

thansk!
      1972 Pontiac Firebird - current project
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - current cruiser, next project?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com