Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Hooking relays to Electric Life Power Window Kits - 69 Firebird

I have a set of crappy Electric Life window units in my 69 Firebird all around. I know the Nu Relic units are a lot better from what I've read. My windows don't roll up very well and drop crazy fast when rolling down.

However, a more economical fix might be to hook the switches to relays to get more power to the window motors. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

Anyone have a diagram of how to do this?

Country Flag: United States
      What power window harness and switch are you running?
      If harness and switch are Electric Life, it should already have a good 14 gauge power and ground wire. Adding relays is doable and very easy but the going down fast is the spring used in the regulator.
      We have used many Electric Life and Nu Relic kits. I have Nu Relic in my 69 now and having issues with them and have sent in many videos about my issues and I was told to weld up my rear window regulator gear to limit the travel and on my fronts I was told to take the spring off and take some coil out of it.
      If you want me to draw you a diagram for relays let me know.
      Unless you are using low amp switch like billet or touch button, relays are not needed.

Honestly, relays are a good idea regardless of any brand for a high load situation like that.
      Tracey

What one could do is get some 12 gauge wire and with about a 25A inline fuse on the power wire at the battery run this test battery wire and then a ground directly from the battery to the terminals on the motor after you disconnect the existing wires going to the motor. Just make solid connections to limit any voltage drops.

If it's a standard reverse polarity motor, then hooking up the wires one way will have the window going up and then if the connections get reversed, the window will go the other way.

If the windows work better, then the relays should give the same results. If the window speeds do not change then it's a motor issue and/or adjustment installation issue.

Jim

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com