Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Extra tips and nozzle. Nozzle gel comes in handy too.

I learned the hard way to wear my Miller welding jacket when welding overhead...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Pulled the trigger on the Miller Multimatic 220. Buy one, cry one... right? Weldersuply.com offered it with no tax, free shipping, and a free Miller Digital Performance helmet. Was at Airgas this morning to pick up my tank as well. Now I just need to grab some protection and consumables and I'm ready to roll.

Edit: 4-6 week lead time, so I canceled it and ordered from a local shop that would have it in by the end of the week. Apparently all Miller products are having problems getting out. All that means is I have to find a helmet as well now.
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

Most welding gloves are just calf skin. Instead of spend $30 on name brand I just buy calf skin work gloves from a box store for $10. Can't see a difference and when they get boogered just pitch them and get another and still be ahead. If it's gonna be in a high temp area buy a pair of insulated ones. I would suggest getting a Tig Finger, they're handy.
      Don't forget a pair of welding pliers and some welding clamps. These welding magnets are handy also:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Most welding gloves are just calf skin. Instead of spend $30 on name brand I just buy calf skin work gloves from a box store for $10. Can't see a difference and when they get boogered just pitch them and get another and still be ahead. If it's gonna be in a high temp area buy a pair of insulated ones.
      Yeah, all of the calf skin gloves look generally the same. I grabbed a couple different ones to see what will work best for me. One was insulated. All were cheap.

I would suggest getting a Tig Finger, they're handy.
      Don't forget a pair of welding pliers and some welding clamps. These welding magnets are handy also:

Thanks. I'll go grab what I'm missing. I'm going to hold off on anything TIG-specific for now until I'm ready to dip my feet into that.

How do you guys feel about welding tables? Something that adds a lot of value or can any work bench due? All of my benches are wood tops, so at the very least, I need some sort of welding surface to work on. HF has a low risk option here, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I have a couple of welding tables. One has an inch thick top. The other is from these guys. I recommend one as your first fab project:

https://weldtables.com/

Get yourself some clamps too.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Here's a tip. I have one large gas bottle that's on the welding cart. But since you always run out of gas on a weekend I bought a small bottle as a back up.

Name:  177559593_488824565778269_5848676090974672552_n.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  172.9 KB

I'm really OCD on having enough storage so rather than buy the standard welding cart I picked up a 44" tool cart and fabbed up a tank stand on the end. It has tons of storage and with some heavy aluminum plate on the top is functions as a welding table as well.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      How do you guys feel about welding tables? Something that adds a lot of value or can any work bench due? All of my benches are wood tops, so at the very least, I need some sort of welding surface to work on. HF has a low risk option here, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.
      For starting out, the HF table will work fine. I've used mine on a lot of projects.

As with anything, you can spend as much as you want to spend, but at the end of the day, it is amazing what can be accomplished with basic tools and motivation. I built my Cougar with a minimal assortment of tools, a trusty Dewalt small impact driver. I have the HF welding table and a Eastwood TIG 200. I am not a master welder, but with a little practice I was able to build engine mounts and weld on my aluminum radiator. After 25K miles and 5 years on the road, nothing has fallen off.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I have a couple of welding tables. One has an inch thick top. The other is from these guys. I recommend one as your first fab project:

https://weldtables.com/

Get yourself some clamps too.

Don
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      For starting out, the HF table will work fine. I've used mine on a lot of projects.

As with anything, you can spend as much as you want to spend, but at the end of the day, it is amazing what can be accomplished with basic tools and motivation. I built my Cougar with a minimal assortment of tools, a trusty Dewalt small impact driver. I have the HF welding table and a Eastwood TIG 200. I am not a master welder, but with a little practice I was able to build engine mounts and weld on my aluminum radiator. After 25K miles and 5 years on the road, nothing has fallen off.

Andrew
      Thanks, Don and Andrew. I think what I'm going to do is practice this weekend with a bunch of scrap I bought. When I get comfortable, I'm going to go build a basic welding table. Nothing fancy, but it seems like an easy project to get me more seat time with the rig and I ultimately end up with a tool I can use. Good luck to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Here's a tip. I have one large gas bottle that's on the welding cart. But since you always run out of gas on a weekend I bought a small bottle as a back up.
      It is a good tip. I just picked up a small bottle. When it's done, I'll go refill it and grab a big bottle as well.

I'm really OCD on having enough storage so rather than buy the standard welding cart I picked up a 44" tool cart and fabbed up a tank stand on the end. It has tons of storage and with some heavy aluminum plate on the top is functions as a welding table as well.
      This is something that's been on my mind a lot with these purchases. Just picked up the cart for the 220, but I'm cringing at the space it's going to take up. The footprint of all this new equipment isn't insignificant, so I might look to do exactly what you're doing. Thanks for the feedback.

My first fab and welding project was my rotisserie. I still wince at the welding 15 years later but I’ve used it on roughly 15 builds without issue. That project also taught me that abrasive chop saws suck big time and got myself an Evolution saw with a metal blade.

You have officially gone down the rabbit hole. More tool purchases are in your future...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      My first fab and welding project was my rotisserie. I still wince at the welding 15 years later but I’ve used it on roughly 15 builds without issue. That project also taught me that abrasive chop saws suck big time and got myself an Evolution saw with a metal blade.

You have officially gone down the rabbit hole. More tool purchases are in your future...

Don
      haha I've already been looking. I was thinking chop saw, but I've seen a lot of good techniques online getting real nice miter cuts with just an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. Gonna try that for the table.

Thanks folks. Due to the comments on this thread, as well as a few on other sites, just bought a Hobart Handler 210 MPV welder. Plus this thing is supposed to be capable of welding steel, stainless steel and aluminum depending on wire and gas used. Now, having never actually welded before this will be a new experience for me.

I probably would have gone ahead with the multiprocess, but Hobart makes that one in China. The MIG is made in the US. Had Hobart made both in the US I might have gone ahead and bought the multiprocess welder as futureproofing, but I'm not buying Chinese if I can avoid it.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I've been very happy with my Hobart Handler 140, it does everything I need it to do.

I have a Certiflat 36x48 table which has been great for my needs, plus I got some more practice welding it together.

I started with a HF welding helmet and then later got a panoramic helmet. The panoramic helmet saves me from hitting my head when working in tight spaces and has been awesome for general visibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com