Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Questions on swapping my VA compressor & re-charging

I swapped my bare aluminum v-belt Sanden compressor for a black 8-rib one from CVF last fall and I'm just now getting around to charging it. CVF said it came with 6.75oz of PAG 100 oil inside. VintageAir takes 28.8oz (1.8lbs) of R134A. I'll be renting the equipment from my local auto parts store to properly pull vacuum on the system and charge it, and buying the cans of R134A from them.

My question; it sounds like I need to add no oil to the system and I can just use straight R134A. Is that right, or will pulling the vacuum on the system for all that time remove some of the oil? I'm not sure if as the moisture sublimates of any oil would be drawn out by the suction or if I'll be good.

Also, is there a chance of having too much oil now with what's already leftover in my system combined with the charge of the new compressor? Or is that not a great concern?

It sounds like everything will balance out ok in the end but I just wanted to check with the experts on here.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Deleted. An expert will hopefully respond.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Is the system currently 134a?

Typical procedure is to drain oil from existing compressor and put that much in the new compressor. If converting from R12 to 134a, keep the full PAG charge- the mineral oil is not miscible with 134a so is considered kind of inert
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Yeah, VA uses R134A so no R12 conversion going on here.

So I need to drain the oil out of my VA compressor and measure it? Then drain the oil from the CVF compressor and put back in the same amount that was in the VA one?
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post

So I need to drain the oil out of my VA compressor and measure it? Then drain the oil from the CVF compressor and put back in the same amount that was in the VA one?
      It would make more sense to flush the system and then use the new compressor with the correct oil charge imho....

Not an expert...

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Gotcha, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check and see if the rental gear is capable of that.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Once you open the system you should also replace the drier.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I had thought of that but I had it open for literally 10-15 seconds as I swapped the hose connections as fast as I could to avoid excess moisture getting into the system. This time I'll just pull a vacuum on it for a good half hour and I'll call it good. Next service I'll replace the drier. Might not be the best way, but I don't want this to turn into a larger project. Thanks for the mention tho.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post

If you're not flushing, drain the oil from the VA pump, and compare it to the compressor label. Drain the CVF pump and replace the oil less the difference between VA measured and label values. You are determining the amount of oil still resident in the system, and removing that from the CVF requirement.

Or not. The downside from too high an oil charge is slightly reduced performance
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com