Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Who knows about rebuilt title classics?

I've got a head scratcher of a situation. I have a chance to buy a C2 for under 40k. I've always wanted one and the price is in my ballpark. The catch is it has a rebuilt title as it was involved in wreck and the originally chassis was unrepairable so it now it sits on a C3 chassis.

I don't know too much about Corvettes, but the car is a driver which I'm cool with (and probably should have started with on a Camaro, but whole other story). I'd more than likely PT the car so the value of the rebuilt title means nothing to me. I'm just curious how difficult the process of registering a rebuilt car is/anyone done the same and can share. Most of the information I can find online is in reference to newer (7-11 model years old) and doesn't really match up for a classic.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

In MN where I live in my earlier years I did a few repairables to make a little cash. In MN when you buy a repairable from a business like Co-Part you will get a temporary title. Good for 180? days then after you have made the repairs you have to schedule a inspection with the state. The state is not looking for the soundness of the repairs, they are looking for stolen parts. I had to provide pics and receipts for all parts needed.
      In MN you can transfer a "rebuilt" title vehicle to anyone. On a MN title rebuilt stays with the title for the life of the vehicle.
      My 98 Wrangler LS6/4L60E swap was a theft recovery with minor dents and has a rebuilt title. Fender, hood and grill was dented.
      Don't know about Florida but transferring the title shouldn't be a issue.

- - - Updated - - -

In MN where I live in my earlier years I did a few repairables to make a little cash. In MN when you buy a repairable from a business like Co-Part you will get a temporary title. Good for 180? days then after you have made the repairs you have to schedule a inspection with the state. The state is not looking for the soundness of the repairs, they are looking for stolen parts. I had to provide pics and receipts for all parts needed.
      In MN you can transfer a "rebuilt" title vehicle to anyone. On a MN title rebuilt stays with the title for the life of the vehicle.
      My 98 Wrangler LS6/4L60E swap was a theft recovery with minor dents and has a rebuilt title. Fender, hood and grill was dented.
      Don't know about Florida but transferring the title shouldn't be a issue.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com