Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

KRE High Port Heads Second Gen Trans Am

Curious if anyone on here has run the KRE High Port Heads and Northwind intake on a 2nd Gen Trans Am and what the clearance with the hood is like. I am betting the shaker wont work, even with a drop but not sure if it will even work without further mods for clearance. TIA

Country Flag: United States
      I would like to know too- I am planning to run KRE High ports on the 461 shortblock for my 78 TA. But I do know you can mod a T-II intake (have material added to the underside for port matching), and that will let the shaker scoop fit under the hood.

Geno

You would probably need to run a stock height manifold and drop base/custom air cleaner since the ports are raised over 1”. Good news is the factory Pontiac manifolds are awesome for air flow in ported condition and quadrajets are 800cfm.

The Northwind states that it works with stock T/A hoods but if it’s any taller than stock, you will really start pushing clearance issues with those hoods and raised port heads.

I hope to see it done. Those are awesome cylinder heads.

My car had their prototype North Wind intake on it with their 310cfm heads... with my Formula hood it would clear with a very small air filter. Now that I've gone to a Holley Terminator EFI it has an additional 1/4" vs the Holley 4150.

I think it's an amazing intake FWIW! And I think it could be made to work with a Shaker hood. Have you searched on Performance Years (PY Forums)? I'm sure there are some on there that have already done it with a shaker.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

OLDFLM, were those 310 CFM heads their D ports?

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      My car had their prototype North Wind intake on it with their 310cfm heads... with my Formula hood it would clear with a very small air filter. Now that I've gone to a Holley Terminator EFI it has an additional 1/4" vs the Holley 4150.

I think it's an amazing intake FWIW! And I think it could be made to work with a Shaker hood. Have you searched on Performance Years (PY Forums)? I'm sure there are some on there that have already done it with a shaker.

OLDFLM, were those 310 CFM heads their D ports? I'm building a 4-1/2" stroker for my 75 firebird and I'm trying to keep it under a formula hood. I'd like to be able to put a ram air air-cleaner on it if possible.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com